Thursday, May 16, 2013

Very special visitor

Yesterday I was outside doing various gardening and animal related duties when I noticed the ducks in a row with their necks out straight, the way they do when they are curious (or stalking something and up to no good)

I saw a shiny turtle shell just ahead of them, and then the turtle turned her head a bit when she heard me talking to the ducks, and I saw a flash of yellow on her throat. A Blanding's turtle!!! Very exciting, since this is a threatened species in Minnesota, listed since 1984, and on the IUCN Redlist as endangered. Also endangered under SARA in Canada.



Emydoidea blandingii

Status_ne_offStatus_dd_offStatus_lc_offStatus_nt_offStatus_vu_offStatus_en_onStatus_cr_offStatus_ew_offStatus_ex_off

Some of you might know how much I've always loved turtles, so this is a big deal for me.

They are pretty timid and shy, and tend to hide when disturbed. I have to admit that I petted her briefly until she tucked her head in and hissed. I left her alone to go about her business, and the ducks were already long gone by this point. Then I worried that she get trampled by Oakley by accident, or end up on the road, so I went looking for her. She was a very large turtle and could cover a fair bit of ground in a short time, so I never did find her again.

File:Haeckel Chelonia.jpg
 
The 89th plate from Ernst Haeckel's ''Kunstformen der Natur'' (1904),
depicting organisms classified as Chelonia


 


 
Farewell beautiful!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment