Saturday, May 11, 2013

International Migratory Bird Day--shout out to the super athletes!

 
It was about 20 C yesterday afternoon, so the farm was pretty crazy with activity.  I had a long shift at the Raptor Center so was glad to come home and flake out on top of a chicken tractor in the garden for a bit and attempt to shoot yellow warblers. (avec lager)
 
Hoping the apple trees put off blooming until after the weekend, since we're expecting frost and high winds for the next few days. Last year they were a write off, except for one sad apple at the very top of the tree...barely enough to feed a few starlings let alone make cider for G!
 
I'm pretty sure I saw chickadee fledgies this morning..tough little birds!
 
Anyway, much to do but I wanted to post a few pics before I get on my to-do list.  I'm always astounding by migrating species, the physical feats and the obstacles they have to overcome, like storms blowing them off course, getting confused by the lights of our cities, or arriving at their destination only to have no food available. I'm always a sucker for underdog stories. : )
 
 
 
"Medium- to long-distance migrant. Baltimore Orioles spend summer and winter in entirely different ranges. From early April to late May, flocks arrive in eastern and central North America to breed from Louisiana through central Canada. They start to leave as early as July for wintering grounds in Florida, the Caribbean, Central America, and the northern tip of South America."
 

 
"Long-distance migrant. Tree Swallows begin migrating south in July and August, flying during the day and roosting in large flocks at night. Eastern populations probably migrate along the Atlantic coast to winter in Florida and Central America."

 

 
Guinea wars--that damn testosterone!! (they did not fly here from Africa-lol)
 


Ducks migrating across our yard ; )
 
 
 

\
 
Yellow warbler:
"Long distance migrant. Yellow Warblers breed across central and northern North America and spend winters in Central America and northern South America. They migrate earlier than most other warblers in both spring and fall. Like many other migrating songbirds, Yellow Warblers from eastern North America fly across the Gulf of Mexico in a single nonstop journey"
(All quotes from Cornell All About Birds)


 
Oakley and his cowbirds.
 



If only I had a better camera...this shot could have been awesome! This was 1/2000 of a second exposure!! If you click on it it will enlarge and you can see what he's hunting.



 
 
Don't forget to look up once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment