Thursday, May 23, 2013

Be grateful for the good things--repeat

So I've been struggling with my whiplash flaring up in the last 48 hours--don't know what I did but it's pretty bad. Got into chiro twice and it's helping thankfully. It looks like a weekend full of thunderstorms so at least I won't be missing out on lots of outdoor fun! Maybe I can get some spinning done with the nice roving I bought at the Shepherd's Festival. I think it might be therapeutic for me, sort of like petting a cat and how it's supposed to lower blood pressure--much needed at the moment!

I'm feeling like we're in the midst of a dodgy horse deal, and between the pain in my neck and what transpired this morning I was very angry today.  I'm a pretty reasonable person, I just expect people to be up front.  I really have to object to my good nature being taken advantage of as I perceive it is being. Very angry about this-and I don't really need more angry chemicals floating around when I'm grieving for Wedge.

Then to top it off I zapped myself with the electric fence tonight and it shot me right into the side of the garage.  Awful!! Not so great for spasming traps!! Ow!! I don't recommend it...I'd rather crash on a wooden velodrome going 45kph, and some of you know how that feels, so that's saying something.

I had a nice grooming session with the bear horse before chiro tonight--I was supposed to have a training session with him but had to cancel because of my neck. He was sooooo sweet and it really did help.  He was a little naughty when we went to catch him in the pasture tonight....He heard one click of the lead shank and bolted--throwing up thick chunks of sod as he galloped away all pleased with himself...I went inside and put on tall boots so I could wade across the wetland to get to him, and we took the long way back.  I'd let him graze on command, and we were serenaded by a wonderful bobolink, which is an incredible thing. That sound! It's other-wordly.







The guineas ranged really far today, so I'm pleased that they're gaining confidence. Go tick patrol! I was reminded of this because while I've been typing this I had a tick crawl down my neck. So gross.







I'm a little distracted from the rest of my thoughts I wanted to get down, because I'm semi-listening to our favourite farming podcast, from Chicken Thistle Farm in NY. Their bad day involves an extremely aggressive sow, the words "fled for my life" and thinking that one of their sows had eaten their tractor keys. And they just named one of their turkeys Captain Jack : ) Life with beasts. It's funny when we meet city folks, and we discover we can't relate to each other at all. I have little knowledge of the latest movies, TV shows, plays, computer games, fancy phones, and the latest yoga fad and associated pants. I'm ok with that.

Expecting some cold temps over the weekend and maybe some frost, so I went to all of the crabapple and apple trees and inhaled my fill, before they might lose all of their blossoms. I'm worried we haven't had enough pollinators--the orioles might have helped, we had some insects, but no honey bees, and no hummingbirds yet.  We get the ruby throated hummers here. Maybe next year we'll get on the bee thing.  Glenn has wanted to for quite a while.  I'm a little disturbed at how much chemical intervention that keeping bees requires, since they have some pretty awful and devastating parasites. I don't really think there's such thing as organic honey. 

Well this is mighty random and all over the place. But that's probably a good representation of what goes on here, and in my head for that matter!

Too bad my photos won't load for some reason, but it's time for pizza, and to remind myself of the good things. Oh and I got to chat with Mom briefly and we shared a laugh, so that was really good!
Lorpie was waiting for me at the fence tonight, as she does most nights before I bring her inside. She hung out with me for a while while I typed, then I heard her trying to get up into her cage in the other room, so I put her to bed. G is home for a long weekend, and I'm grateful for that.  My list is too long for tonight. I know I'm lucky!

Good night!




No comments:

Post a Comment