
Insert my sobbing sounds here >>>>>>>>>>>
Latest Stories

The rain just won't come! Some parts of our pasture literally crunch under our feet. It was only last month when I was walking out there in the lush grass and I felt like I was in the rainforest--the words "smells like green" came to mind, as if I'd developed some chlorophyll receptors in my nose and taste buds. It was amazing! Biomass, life, whatever-it was impressive.
Dad was here last week and told us he'd never seen so many frogs in his life. So at least parts of the property are doing ok! The swallows are blowing our minds with their mach 5 hunting techniques. Dozens of the whirling around on the strong winds over the fields and the barn. Still one more nest in the barn with little ones waiting to fledge. The flying mammals were in fine form last night too, backlit by the last bits of light to the west. We even had nighthawks overhead at dusk last week. Apparently they are migrating. I call them Harry Potter birds, since they seem like creatures from a fantasy world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qpsyjmda5Q from Cornell - have a watch!!

So the crazy heat does't stop us from enjoying this place, but it sure does add some stress. We've started watering the sheep pastures a bit. All the beast have water and electrolytes, and they definitely favour the electrolytes. I found an electrolyte supplement at the farm store that also has probiotics in it, so I've offered that to the lambs since Henry had been on a course of penicillin.
Well it's late and we're supposed to go to the MN State Fair today, so I have a few things to attend to before we head into town to voluntarily hang out with tens of thousands of people all in a few square kms. What???? The draft 6 horse hitch show is this evening, so we don't want to miss it.
Please send rain.
Hang in there with the horrid rotten weather! Doing my best to send rain your way :(
ReplyDeleteFeeling something akin to despair when looking at our previously lush pastures now ripe with ragweed...Ours look better than some others. I know it's temporary..but I feel like I literally do nothing all day but fill water buckets and fill and refill electrolytes, continually make the rounds to make sure none of them are succumbing. Even the tiny bantam hens were all open mouth breathing yesterday--the roosters faired a little better due likely to their larger combs and wattles. Oak is doing quite well this year. Allergies but managing the heat ok. Still too hot to ride though. Dreamed of him all kitted up last night...I know you get it : )
ReplyDelete