So tired...been a crazy few days. Dad and his wife Shahla are on their way from Ontario, and are in Madison, WI tonight. The house is still a mess. My back is in spasm, so getting things done today was tough.
Had Oakley lesson Thurs. pm---it went ok but my back really hindered things. He was pretty good most of the time, except when he started anticipating when I was going to ask him to trot. He just wanted to GO! And we know he can GO when he wants...Coach is great but I'm just not getting this counterbending thing during warmup. Outside leg, seatbone, rein. Problem is then he yields right into the center of our circle instead of keeping on the track. I'm thinking I need to see my coach do it and maybe that will help. Or maybe she's just not teaching it in a way I understand. Anyway, it was a little frustrating. Likely I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I didn't want to cancel the session, and I didn't have high aspirations for the session but just wanted to ensure it was positive for him. It's also frustrating being a former athlete and having my efforts so limited by this stupid chronic pain. She said I did much better this time, in part because she only had to tell me to stop neck reining about 10 times instead of 30 : P
********
Friday TRC shift was good, but busy. I firmly believe that broad winged hawks(a buteo) have some accipiter dna--they are crazy! Super bitey, and amazingly strong with those talons. Was very sad that a new favourite patient had to be euthanized. Just wasn't in the mood to deal with vet students that day. As a volunteer of course I'm allowed to ask questions at appropriate times, it is a teaching hospital after all. I know it can throw a student off a little if the train of thought is interrupted, so I try to be sensitive to that. However sometimes I feel that it's good to make them pause for a second and consider my question or observation, and make sure they remember they are working on a live animal...
I'm pleased with my own learning after being there just over a year (but at one shift a week it's really not that long) I was restraining the patient on the table for only a minute when I noticed that the breathing characteristics were odd--sort of like when Oakley is having a COPD episode. Owls seem to have a strange very pronounced 'double breathing' look as I call it, but this one was more pronounced. Long story short-she had rads done and sure enough one whole side of her lungs and airsacs were succumbing to what we assumed was aspergillus. So as unfortunate as it was I was pleased that I appear to be learning my normals and abnormals, and my instincts were correct. (she was already going to get a full workup, the rads weren't done because of what I had noticed, but the vet student did go and check with the resident before putting the bird under anesthesia.)
Had to go and do my drivers test for MN DL after my shift. I was getting squirrely under those horrid fluorescent lights....St.Paul is a nice city, but I didn't want to be there. I wanted to be home on the farm with G, who is taking a week off. I was pissed off to look down on the ground as I walked and see it littered with cigarette butts and bits of plastic. So I looked up instead, and saw a feather floating around on the wind. Much better.
Today--did bantam hen 'kitten's leg/foot treatment, cleaned Winny's sheath since he's been rubbing when he rolls again, found he has 2 more hot spots than the one I'd been watching (all on midline--likely from deerfly bites) Grabbed Granny Rose when she took off with a paper towel in her beak, checked her over since it's a good opportunity for an exam, no lice, but her bumblefoot is back. So removed the scab and treated and wrapped her foot. Henry is sick, likely pneumonia. He'd been sick as a lamb, but fine when we got him, but I'm not surprised this has resurfaced. His temp was 104.9 last night, so I started him on Pen G as per his previous owner (a vet) since we don't have any Nuflor (Rx only). I went out at 1am to check on him, and had a nice visit with Oak, Winst and the lambs. Night time in the barn...it's so different and special I just don't have the words for it right now. I felt pretty lucky to be surrounded by these special beasts. Henry is eating, no diarrhea, seems to have better hydration today but still temp was 104.5 tonight and his breathing is a little raspy. Sigh...
I guess Dad will get to see what goes on here--hopefully I won't be so busy treating animals to actually visit. But somehow I don't expect that he'll be surprised that this is the person I've become.
Merciful high wind today despite the heat, so Oak was full of beans and a little naughty. I took the opportunity to chase him and play with him so he'd buck and posture and make us laugh. Last thing I do every night when I leave the barn is hug his giant neck, give him a kiss and tell him I love him. : )
That's it for now.
My little Henry!!! :( Give him a kiss please.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for your dad and Shala visiting you! I found it so great when my parents could see the farm, and the horses, and the clinic and everything, and actually do some work around the farm too :) Made it feel more real to them.
And of course they know that these are the kinds of daughters they raised! :)
Regarding counterbending. Oakley is tough but he eventually did develop a nice counterbend and could easily move from a bend to counterbend staying in a beautiful frame. In addition to the aids for the counterbend, you need the aids to keep him from falling in to the middle of the ring. And he's such a big lug that it's easy for him to muscle through to the inside. So, to assist with the no falling in this is what worked for us: rotate your shoulders to the outside while sitting on the outside seat bone - of course keeping your trunk forward. Also, move your inside leg slightly forward with pressure and bumping to tell him he's not to fall in from his front end, and shorten your inside rein. Don't "neck rein", but shorten it a bit to hold his shoulder on the rail. Or your inside leg may need to move back if he is falling in with his hind end and you need to control his haunches. And most importantly don't ask for much of a counterbend when you're starting. As soon as you get the slightest bend for 2-3 steps, release the aids and go crazy with the praise :) You'll get it!!! And Oakley needs to know that you mean it. You are the herd leader and he must respect your aids and requests.
So hard though with the pain. Sat on Johnny at the walk yesterday for the first time post-surgery. Being an athlete and dealing with pain/recovery time is so hard. hang in there!!!