It was cold today, but the sun came out for a little bit and warmed the poly tunnels to above freezing! The chickens were surprisingly active. The ducks would range until their feet got too cold and they would waddle back to their straw covered run to bask and warm up. I spent a few hours adding the final bits of R 7.5 foam and reflexlite over the ends of the duck palace. Not what I wanted to be doing, but it was -12C last night, will be -14C tonight, and we are expecting at least -22C tomorrow night with some dangerous wind chill.
The cardinals showed up just before dark tonight--they are one of the earliest risers in the dark winter mornings and then the last to visit the feeders. I topped them up and added suet--the wood peckers and nuthatches have been very hungry lately.
Our feral barn cat got a canned food treat, and she was hungry enough to eat it while I stood watching with the barn gate open. Normally as soon as I open the gate she retreats to the highest bale way up in the rafters to keep her yellow eyes on me.
The male ring-necked pheasant who's been visiting was too hungry to run away when I walked by. He was very busy trying to scrounge for bits of seed knocked down by chickadees and juncos.
It's days like these that make it hard for creatures to survive here. I found three young mice in the garage cuddled up together, dehydrated and cold. Maybe we trapped their mother? Some of these little mammals just don't do well even with easy access to food. Yet an 11 gram black-capped chickadee is completely at home in -20C. The creatures and vistas of winter here are incredible and awe inspiring to both of us.
Sleeping trees and ghosts of summer plants:
| Jack pine |
| Hollyhocks |
| Food for the lucky ones who can reach it. It might stay there until the first hungry migrants of spring arrive. |
No comments:
Post a Comment