I promised to write about what happened to Miss Fern, but I don't have time this morning. It's already Sunday, and I have about five hours of daylight left. These short days are tough when there is so much to be done!
I'm currently sitting in front of our new woodstove with Kitten the banty on my lap, Captain Jack preening beside me, and Fern watching the fire while she poses regally on the ottoman. It's too hot! A few weeks ago I wouldn't have said that, but now it's more like west coast weather. Rain, fog and mild temperatures have melted all of the snow, and the animals are enjoying some much needed ranging. I just have to keep an eye on the ducks....on rainy days the try to sneak out to the road to find puddles to dabble in. I just have to make the back yard more appealing with frozen squash for treats and a big tub of warm water for bathing.
G is working on fixing an antique pie cupboard that he won at the farm auction. When he fixes the wooden leg I will tear out the wire mesh that doesn't look quite right, and try to find some tin to replace it with. I want to try punching patterns in it just like the other cupboard we have. But those types of projects are luxuries...Today I have to pull down the old insulation in the ceiling of the duck house, and G will fit it with 1.5' pink foam insulation that I think has at least an R7 rating.

Yesterday after we returned from a trip to Wisconsin to claim our most recent farm auction winnings (two boxes of pottery for $20) he did something great for our bantam chickens in the garage. At the conference I just attended I learned a lot about avian sight and proper lighting. I''ve been concerned for some time that our bantams looked depressed, and we not active enough. I wanted to improve the lighting in there as I felt that it was indeed the culprit but wasn't sure where to start (lighting and fixtures can be $$).
The speaker at the conference had mentioned a specific brand and model of light bulb, so this week I ordered them from amazon, and we used several of our seed starting fixtures. (they are NOT specialty avian light bulbs, which typically provide dangerous and unneccessary levels of UVB)
There was an instant response from the birds when he turned on the lights! I'm so happy for them! This will dramatically improve their quality of life, throughout the year but especially during the long dark winter months, and grey low lumen days like this west coast-like day today.
G is leaving to go back to Victoria for a week to see his family, and a long overdue visit with our niece and nephew who are growing up way too fast. Sadly we won't have either side of our family visiting this holiday, we just recently found out.
These mild rainy days are a reprieve for all of us, but I am looking forward to some blue skies and a little snow.
Have you tried blogging about what you'ld like G to help with and then getting him to read your blog? You are both superstars, BTW. Glad Fern is doing OK.
ReplyDelete;) 'twas my last resort after some pretty direct communication and then I was just pretty upset--this is primarily a diary and an outlet for me, but after a while I realized that since other people read this it might appear that I was trying to publicly shame my husband...so I removed that part. Thanks for the encouragement :)
ReplyDelete