Tuesday, December 9, 2014

"Come sit by me, see what I see"





A few weeks ago we went to see Sam Roberts Band at the Turf Club in St. Paul.  It was an incredible show and I was standing in the front row, right in front of the bassist. 




 A bunch of Canadian guys came down from Winnipeg to see the show.  Such a happy crowd!  Afterwards at the merchandise table I was happy to hear a few people saying how they were blown away by the show, and had never heard of the band before!  Not very much Canadian music makes it's way down here...



I bought the album 'Collider' from 2011 that I didn't have, so for the last few weeks I've been doing what I usually do with new music, but even worse.  I play it over and over and over and over.  The music invades my sleep.  It's always playing in my head.  One day I will be hearing the bass track, then the next the harmonies, the next the drums.  It's like the music is being written on my memory like a record.  G asked me the other day why I'm not a musician. He says I have a 64 channel brain. I guess this is what happens when I have musical genes but no formal training since early high school.  Music is like a drug to me it seems.  After I read a magazine article recently based on the book 'This is your brain on music' (Daniel J. Levitin http://daniellevitin.com/publicpage/books/this-is-your-brain-on-music/ ) I learned that it really truly is---my brain had a huge hit of dopamine after that concert and it pretty much lasted an entire week.  




What also contributed no doubt was that we actually got to meet Sam Roberts after the concert!  We chatted for ten minutes or so, although I'm sure my perception of time was a little off by then.  When G told him how I played his music really loud out in our barn and sang I was initially embarrassed, but then Sam looked at me sort of funny, and said he dreamed of having a barn where he could make his music and write in peace.  Awesome! At that point I guess I became even more infatuated with him. What can I say? I've always liked being around creative people.  He was so laid back. So Canadian.

G and I both missed home even more than usual that night.

I didn't play any music during my week in Cincinnati, but I still had the new songs in my head, especially while I slept.  

While I drove our beloved house chicken Fern to the vet yesterday I played it in my truck.  Of course after having heard the cd at least 50 times before it didn't stress her out in the slightest. 

Fern's story will be my next post.  I'm so relieved that it won't be a tragic story, because it certainly was shaping up to be one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment