Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas eve---where is our snow???


We have no snow!! It was all washed away...G thinks this type of 'winter' is perfect.  After returning from his Vancouver Island trip he told me jokingly (or not) that he didn't want to live in Minnesota any more...Maybe we are just tired of the work we've had to put in already this fall, since winter came much too early.  All he could think about was how much easier it would be  for us to raise animals back there..

We made a run into town to pick up some eggnog--can't do Xmas without it! We have dry wood for the wood stove, cabbages and seed treats for the chickens.  We will put up the tree I bought yesterday, and skype with family tomorrow.

As I fight the urge to lay here and nap by the wood stove after having incredible turkey soup that G made I'm reminded that I only have a few hours of day light left, so napping will have to wait. 

The chickens are out ranging and having a blast--the chickweed and kale and grass are magically still alive after being covered in ice and snow for a month.

First next order of business is to give our guinea some new prosthetic feet, then deal with what seems like a sheath infection brewing in Winston, then attend to Henry's prepuce to see if he has ulcers, put dry bedding and nest material down for all, clean waterers for the banties, put out a wet food treat for the feral barn cat, muck stalls and maybe if I still have energy muck part of the paddock...I really just want to put barn music on and spend an hour grooming the horses and relaxing.  We have two cords of wood arriving tonight so G is trying to finish up the lean-to wood shelter by the garage.




Happy holidays everyone. Hope all of you get to spend some time with loved ones of whatever species.


3 comments:

  1. Yea!!!that's what I think.....sooooooooooo much easier to take care of animals in this more forgiving West Coast climate........xxMOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. "cord" is my favorite deceptive unit of measurement. It sounds so small, like something you could pile in the back seat of your car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. : ) love it--I take issue with words all the time---it used to annoy me that 'mulch' was both noun and verb--good thing G keeps trying to teach me these things....and he has a decent enough grasp of greek and latin that all of my medical terminology doesn't completely fly over his head.

    ReplyDelete