We had a great weekend! G's plane from Santiago landed on time, 10am Saturday morning, and we were supposed to head north to pick up a load of hay near Pine City. He called from the road, said he'd already seen about 15 cars in the ditch since we'd had snow overnight. I cancelled our hay date...
I was attempting to shovel out the front of the driveway when he got home---I just needed to clear the frozen bits so he could take a run at it and make it into the driveway. It was hard work....I was glad he came home when he did. I'd already been slow frying some bacon in anticipation of his arrival, so the house smelled pretty great. Nothing like real home cooked food after a week away from home. Topped it off with a few fresh eggs and we had a nice brunch together before he went out to get on the tractor and blow the driveway and the long entrance to the barn. While he did that I had a much needed equine therapy session.

It was still -12C, but with the amazing sun it felt hot. I took off the horses' blankets, and groomed both of them. They smelled great and seemed happy for the attention and affection. Both boys got their sheaths attended to, and their feet as well. Since Winny is so awful in crossties I thought I should work on it, and did his feet as well. I must have been feeling confident or something. He's horrible with his feet, I have no idea why. It went very well!! I just need to be more consistent. As powerful as his stubbornness is, his love for treats is stronger. So happy doing this!
I found a series of videos by an Australian trainer. I think I'll order some or subscribe online. I've started watching some of them to help pass the time while I give my sick bantam fluids, drop by drop. It takes about 10-15 min, so I figured I might as well learn something while I'm sitting there caring for her!
This guy is quite surprising--he works with warmbloods but rides western, and has an amazing seat and quiet leg--works with dressage horses! I think I can learn a lot about training basics and horse psychology from him.
G was battling jetlag but seemed so happy to be home on such a glorious sunny sparkly day. He started chopping wood and I new things would only get better! Such a therapeutic act....He put on some Soundgarden on our new barn stereo, and stated building a bonfire. As golden hour approached (3pm) the wood smoke started wafting towards the barn. I brought some hay down to the 'backyard paddock' so the horses would be close to us while we sat, drank beer, and enjoyed the fire.
Such needed down time! If only for a while...We talked. We sat and basked in silence. Perfect.

I brought our ailing Wyandotte 'Fern' into the TV room while we watched a movie--she perched on the back of the couch and charmed us. G was only a little surprised that while he'd been away I'd managed to develop a communication with her, and we clucked back and forth in chicken talk. Yep, this is who he married. I'm bringing her to the vet on Monday night. She was open mouthed breathing the other night and has had similar episodes since. Something is definitely wrong.
![]() |
| Fern wants to try blogging. |
The Private Life Of Chickens A BBC Production. A must watch!!! Might as well watch while you have your morning coffee. Makes me think that I could also capture some pretty interesting and entertaining video of our farm and animals. I know it.
It was a long week with G away, and I wish I had more time to write. Not just farm details, but thoughts about where we are, what we're doing. Sound like I'll have him back for a week, and he'll be gone for another. Still managing guineas with healing frostbite, a sick banty, a sick hen, a sick rooster, two horses with issues. Gee I'm really good at this....
Yet I was pretty damn happy out there tonight with my face pressed against Starburst's forehead....She loves her chest petting--puts her head up in the air, closes her eyes. Complete trust.
So grateful for this all.

No comments:
Post a Comment