I still haven't been sleeping well most nights. My shoulders are very painful from all of the heavy lifting we/I have been doing. The other part of our weekend involved loading and unloading and stacking enormous bales of hay. These bales come up to my chin when stood on end. Fun work, but if you were about to do that sort of workout in a gym you would have a good warm up, and stretch before and after. It's just not something you think about doing when you're in the 'just getter dun' mode. I really should go back to the gym and see how much I could lift now...could be fun. My sled provides a really good leg workout as well. I had 150lbs loaded on there the other day to drag to the barn. Sort of like a squat workout but more fun. Good thing all I wear during the winter is overalls/snowpants and bulky sweaters. Not sure what I'll be fitting into that well come spring...Maybe I should try to get back on my track bike...There's a gorgeous wooden velodrome about 45 minutes from here.
The glorious sun made the -27C plus windchill feel just fine, as long as I didn't take my overgloves off for too long, or breathe too deeply. It really lifted my spirits (I had listened to the weather radio before heading out and had a bit of a 'tanti') Chirping chickadees, juncos, bossy jays and even the shy cardinals showed up-they usually arrive pre-dawn and only arrive at dusk after the other birds have gone to roost. You can learn a lot by observing the 'locals'.
But this is what I found when I got out to the horses:

Oakley....
It's just one of those weeks I guess. Glenn has taken to texting me mid morning to check in and see if every one is ok. I'm sure if I was in his position going away from the farm I'd be wondering if the lack of texts/emails from me before noon meant that everything was ok, or something was awry and I was busy dealing with it.
![]() |
| Winston being super cute, as always |
![]() |
Look who showed up...seemed rather coincidental considering I'd uncovered the duck run that afternoon, and the eagle had a perfect view from up there. Not good!!![]() |
![]() |
| I had to disturb him ask him to move along...I had the rest of night duties to do and couldn't supervise the ducks the whole time. |
And then came Friday...




No comments:
Post a Comment