Well I'd planned to finish writing about our great weekend, and any other random thoughts and events from a very cold Monday, but what I found in the barn this morning sort of took the wind out of my sails...





Well, Henry bleeding all over and the fact that it was frigid out there.
I found his horn sitting neatly in the feeder tray, where he spends much of his time nibbling all of the little alfalfa leaves that settle there.
The bleeding had mostly stopped, but what I'm concerned about is his ear. It's swollen, as if it had vascular injury too. Aural hematoma, cauliflower ear, most people have seen it in dogs who are either injured or who have had such a painful inner ear infection that they shake and shake and cause the vessels to rupture, and the pinna fills up with blood. It's often requires surgery to repair, and is very painful. So hopefully this cold weather is reducing any further bleeding into the ear, and in turn keeping him comfortable. He seemed like jolly little Henry, despite his bloody face. The other sheep seemed very disturbed--presumably by both the sight and smell of him. Around midday I went out to check on him, and sure enough the horn bud had started bleeding quite a bit, even though I could see a huge clot covering it. I was able to check his ear, and apply some blood stop powder to the horn bud (trying to avoid any falling in his eye of course). I tried to keep him busy with some grain in the alfalfa bowl...but even with that distraction he started to become wary of me approaching and fussing with him.
Thankful it's not summer, or the flies would be all over it...

I had to chop ice out of Oakley's front feet this afternoon. He's so good! He seems to know that what I'm doing will make him feel better. Standing on giant snowballs is not only dangerous but can injure tendons and ligaments. Love working with the bear...really wish it wasn't so cold. Want to ride and do some driving training with him. With the melt on the weekend and then the dive down to -26C the paddock is very icy, so must be careful. Conditions like this are exactly why we get studs on their shoes. They are both due for a trim and a reset asap.
Well that's it for now. G is finally home, bottling the beer he made last week. I'm hoping for a few hours on the couch before I head out for night check and lock Winny in his stall. I didn't sleep too well last night. The deep freeze setting in overnight meant giant cracks and groans coming from the roof (as ice expanded and magically didn't rip the gutters off). Impossible not to startle awake with sounds like that. Need a good ten hours tonight in order to recover I think..
Who knows what will happen tomorrow?? Wish me luck and well-behaved beasts.

No comments:
Post a Comment