Saturday, January 11, 2014

Amplitude

Ups and downs. Not sure if that's farm life or just my life in general.  Or is that just narcissistic to think? Everyone has ups and downs. Mine just feels like a !*$#*** yo yo some days. : )

Great news for a Katahdin ram that I've never met.  There was an ad on Craigslist that mentioned a ram that fell and couldn't get up, and the owners needed someone to take him.  I sent the ad to a Minnesota Rescue and Rehab facility, and they were actually able to get the ram, and raise a little money for his veterinary assessment.  Even if he needs to be euthanized, I'm so pleased that he actually has a warm place to sleep.  He was cold, wet and depressed when they picked him up.  They wrapped him in blankets and brought him home in the backseat of their car.  He was friendly and affectionate, and seems to have really responded to kind treatment.  Who knows how long he's been down--apparently his belly is raw from what I imagine is urine scald. I feel pretty good about this!! It encourages me when I see examples of compassion around me. Sometimes it really doesn't take much to make a difference.
 
"Romeo" the Katahdin ram.
 
 
The vet at TRC told me yesterday that I could not be considered for the job I applied for because they needed someone right away, and the fact that I don't have a work visa meant that they just couldn't spend the time.  Exactly what I figured would happen.  I tried to tell G's company lawyer this would happen.  The vet encouraged me to apply for the seasonal position, since their other tech had quit as well.  So at least I know they weren't just trying to be polite, since I've been a volunteer for so long.  What will be, will be.  I got to see a snowy owl there yesterday! The first raptor I ever cared for was a snowy named Kayi (at Vanaqua).  Loved that boy.
 
Friday pm:
 
Winston's sheath is about 400% the size it should be.....I called the vet office after hours for some advice.  I joke that it's my obligatory Friday night call.  Our vet is awesome.  He knows me.  He called back and said he didn't want to know if I had managed to wrap up Winny with some weird contraption, and I said that I was actually working on face bras for all the chooks to keep wattles safe, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to invent a sheath warmer.  So happy I have a horse vet with a sense of humour.  I had some meds on hand to try, until he comes out on Monday for Oakley's float and Winny's lung recheck.  It wasn't an emergency, but he was nice enough to call back instead of waiting until the next day.  I'm very grateful for this relationship, and I call it our 'no bullshit' deal.  He's straight with me, I'm straight with him, and try not to waste his time.
 
Sat am:  Tulip isn't looking well at all.  Her beautiful comb is purple/blue.  She's squinting her eyes, drooping her wings, looking like she's in pain and may die today.  I'm very sad : (   I gave her her antibiotics, metacam and also tried some Tramadol, despite the risk of respiratory depression (I've never used it in birds, only dogs) If she's got peritonitis, that must be excruciating.  G left for a haircut appointment, I did morning farm duties, and tried to take my mind off it.  It's mild here today (-2C)   Such a relief...
 
I decided to take Tulip to my regular vet to be tapped again, and to get a Lupron injection.  My friend who's been helping me with the guineas and who tapped Tulip the other night was out of town.  Good thing I took her in...they got 60cc out of her. Poor monkey. Even doing the procedure was a risk--remember it's a blind stick into their belly, if they move (she was too sick to anesthetize this time) the needle tip could slice an intestine or other organ. 
 
When I got home this afternoon she was really no better, but I put her in with her beloved and went out to the barn to check out my new barn sound system G had put up while I was out!! Perfect. G went out again to get some groceries, and then managed to sneak into the barn without my knowing, only to witness a sweet little interaction with me and Lace.  Forehead to forehead, petting her, my amazing little ewe, G wishing he had a camera.  I'm so lucky.
 
Tonight Tulip is walking around with Captain Jack, acting almost normal.  I know it's not necessarily a complete turnaround--she could still die if her belly fills up again, but for now, I'm happy.  G has made tacos, with shells pressed from pure mesa flour--the real thing.  One of my favourite meals.
 
Dinner bell has rung.  Comfort food on the way.....
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for Romeo! What a wonderful gift you gave him by making that call Danielle... xo

    ReplyDelete