Little Blue the guinea hen will be euthanized tonight. Her foot and half of her leg fell off the other day. She's been comfortable for so many weeks, but this past week she'd been a little quiet. She perks up after pain meds, so at least I could do something. But I couldn't prevent the inevitable. I've been pushing her cage in front of the window in the basement, still in view of her siblings, but so she could enjoy resting in the sun. Guineas love the sun. It's the best I could do to give her comfort.
My inadequate apology for my horrible mistake.
![]() |
| Handsome Chaos! |
Their will be only one daughter of Chaos left, and one son. She is losing most of her toes. She is still bandaged, has a great appetite, and is bright and vocal. We will have to see if she can walk, and perch well before we make a final decision for her.
![]() |
| Chaos looking over his sons, daughters, nieces and nephews. Before the accident... |
Tulip is sick, and I'm also taking her to the vet tonight. Her comb is turning blue, and she's in mild respiratory distress. She's not vocalizing, and her face is red. Her belly is full and turgid. Not good signs! I'm thinking it's reproductive, just like with Lorpie.
**********************************************************************************
Well, I'm home now, it's late. I couldn't euth Blue. We'll give it some more time and see how she does (or doesn't).
The really bad news is that Tulip was indeed full of ascites and even some egg yolk. We took an xray, then I anesthetized her for her belly tap. The fluid basically filled the butterfly set immediately since there was so much back pressure. No wonder she was turning blue! She couldn't breath well with all of that in there. (Just like Lorpie) Except that Lorpie didn't have egg yolk peritonitis, and now Tulip may. I have two different types of pain meds for her, and two antibiotics. She may need Lupron. Poor little monkey...I recovered her and then wrapped her in my scarf, put her in her little travel cage with a hot water bottle I'd brought with me. It's only -9C out there, but still much too cold for a little 450g chook in such a condition. I tried to put her in her cage with a seed mat for heat, but she was so distraught at being separated from her beloved (Captain Jack) that she was much too active, and kept jumping in her water bowl. Not good for a bird that just had her belly tapped four or five times! I ended up putting her back with Jack for the night...If she's happier, she'll be calmer.
![]() |
| Tulip meeting Jack for the first time Dec. 2012 |


![]() |
| Tulip doesn't want Glenn to go to Finland... |
On a happier note, my Christmas present from Glenn arrived today....Yamaha outdoor speakers and a Sony amp, so I can have some REAL sound in the barn!! I will need my music in the months to come.





Tulip is beautiful! My thoughts are with her...
ReplyDeleteBarn music is so healing - what a wonderful gift.
xo