It's hard to picture a more perfect fall morning....Sitting on the deck with coffee after turnout and morning duties...sun is warm but the slight breeze is cool...geese overhead in v formation, sparrows harvesting weed seeds in the field, the grackles are back with their liquid voices, contented preening and foraging noises from our flocks, crickets a low hum out in the field, I can hear a pileated woodpecker calling out in the grotto. At least for now it's peaceful. Later there will likely be shotgun blasts for hours on end. I'm all for hunters practicing so they don't mess up at the crucial moment, but it's hard not to be a NIMBY when this peace is so precious...(and I feel I've earned it after the nuclear summer)
Wish I could bottle this and send to my city friends!!
I moved Captain Jack's cage so he could do his morning preen in the sun, and he's almost fallen off his perch multiple times. The sun is banty kryptonite!
Yesterday we looked on MLS for a bit. It's what we do when we are dreaming of the future and where we will go next. Of course we'll both be devastated to leave this farm and all we've built here. But a misty rainy day like yesterday makes us both nostalgic for the coast...It cannot be helped! It's funny how just mucking around in wellies and rain pants makes me feel so much more like my old self.
But for now I'll enjoy hearing the sandhill cranes calling in the distance, and these perfect fall days where you feel like you must have a polarizing filter on your eyes--the sky is so impossibly blue. This place has it's own magic and we certainly won't take it for granted.
Time for another coffee I think. Must figure out a training plan for Oak and Win for something I want to teach them both. Have winterizing and animal moves to plan. But if I really want to appreciate this morning I think it's time to forget the to-do list for a moment, and try to be like Captain Jack.
Don't worry Mom, I won't fall off the deck ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment