Día de Muertos
![]() |
| Lorpie, All Hallow's Eve, Fall 2011.
I was thinking of my dream of Lorpie the other night--it's just the same sort of dream I used to have about my cat Heidi and my dog Gwen. In the dream I see them, and I'm very happy, but confused. I know they are dead, so in the dream I'm trying to figure out how it's possible that they are alive, and I'm trying to pet them and be with them but if I look away in the dream they disappear. Lovely subconscious trying to accept reality.
I enjoyed helping with the chook surgery last night, even though there were mixed results so to speak....I was happy I got to intubate both birds (a first for me), and it was great being back in the game. But the first little roo didn't make it...he had a bad bleed that couldn't be stopped, so he was euthanized while under deep anesthesia. He was just a young one, already nicely socialized. But that's how it goes! He would have just been euthanized anyway if she didn't try. So I guess I'll volunteer again when I can.
The guinea boys aren't very happy this morning...they heard Miss Demeanor calling from her new house which is on the other side of the paddock, over by the barn where they rarely go. They following me out there until Oakley dragon'd and scared them away. Funny how bonded they are still. So for the last hour the boys have been screeching their disapproval about the situation. It certainly wasn't a case of out of sight, out of mind. The boys have been lonely and seeking out company--they thought Petunia was quite lovely and spent time grazing with her (Petunia, Millie and Phoenix were in the cruiser the other day). We need to get the netting fixed up over the guinea run so the little ones don't fly away. Hopefully we'll get that done this weekend and see if they can all be introduced. I have a feeling the guinea daddies will still be jerks to the little ones, especially a few that are on the meek side.
I was planning to dress the horses up for Hallowe'en, but I'm just sort of grumpy over the fact that the young roos will be leaving us very soon, and I'm feeling unmotivated. There are two that look like Wedge, and one that doesn't look so much like him but runs beside me grumbling and growling the whole time, which is exactly what Wedge used to do. : )
It's rainy and dark today--sort of blah. I leaned against Oak this morning, holding on to his withers while he ate his breakfast. That always helps. I really do need to spend some time with him today, costume or not. This last few weeks have been pretty busy and I've been missing him.
I guess a farm evolves like everything else--and I don't want to miss any of the good bits while lamenting the losses.
So it's time to go and harvest some kale for the chooks and guineas, and look for a few stray raspberries that the high-jumping Granny Rose might have missed. Then time for music in the barn, petting soggy sheep, and being grateful for what we have here.
Then perhaps I will work on a spell so that past losses haunt me no more!!
![]()
|


No comments:
Post a Comment