We still have a ton of basil bushes to harvest and dry, as well as enough parsley to last a year or too. What we don't dry or make into pesto will be dried to mix in with chook food in the winter. They really crave greens in the winter so we're trying to figure ways to provide that.
We're switching from the local feed mill chook food back to evil Cargill brand 'Nutrena'. We both noticed that the eggs aren't tasting as good, and to top it off all of the animals tend to shun it unless they are really hungry.
Trying ivomec on Captain Jack, and likely the flock in the palace. Mucking out and removing whatever moulted feathers I can find just in case they have lice knits on them. I want this winter to be louse free. So frustrating! Everything was so much easier in Vic climate....
Princey no longer has thrush (we found it on his first trimming last month or so). But his hooves were already overgrown!! Good thing we checked. I had no idea lambs would need such frequent trimmings. Books just don't tell you these things...
Winston has a mild penis infection. He's such a shy boy he'll never let it down so we can see if all is right. (whereas Oakley is so relaxed that when you groom him he really lets it all hang out lol). So the other day I just caught Win retracting it and I thought I noticed some whitish patches. I cleaned his sheath yesterday, which needed to be done (he stood untied while I did the whole thing--I think he appreciated it) but I thought that wasn't the whole issue. Ended up learning something about anatomy in the process. I reached waaaaaay up in there to the top of the sheath sort of where it meets the abdominal wall, and there is a thin ring of tissue with a quarter-sized opening. I was able to get a finger in there and feel the end of his prepuce. Half expected to get kicked at that point. Anyway, I do think he had some abnormal discharge up there. Geldings can get cancers and other nasty things on their parts so this is all stuff I need to learn about!! Called Dr. Ed but the message I got back from the receptionist was just to give bute for a few days. Here I was expecting to be flushing with apple cider vinegar or boric acid solution and a long feeding tube (since Winst won't drop it!!) So hopefully he'll get better soon.
Heading to Osceola and St. Croix Falls in a bit. I messed something up on my knitting project (the fairisle hat) so need some help from my knitting guru. Bringing my camera since the St. Croix River way will likely be adorned in fall colours.....I feel like I deserve some 'me' time after last week with all the work on the hay, and our loss of super Lorp. I need some 'autumn air therapy'. Started missing Goldstream this week....The salmon will be running, and the dippers will be dipping. J and N you should really head on down there and spend the day hiking and photographing...It's a magical place!
I just love her yarn shop....she has yarn from so many local farmers and spinners, from alpaca and llama to mixes of different sheep breeds. It's finished art in it's own right, it's so gorgeous. But I really do hope I can learn to turn some of it (and our own yarn) into proper clothing. If this winter is really going to be as cold as people are predicting, we're going to need wool clothing!!! In the midst of a blizzard or ice storm there's really nothing else that will do.
Better run for now--need to hook up the electric for Flan's run, and grab the guinea keets a big pile of kale to work on for the day....They are getting huge!!
| Wedge-son isn't quite sure what these little things are all about..... |
| Chaos terrifying his children |
| chooks: um, what?? |
| THOU SHALT NOT HEAD TOWARDS THE ROAD. YOU'RE ALL GROUNDED!!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment