Saturday, September 28, 2013

Weekend update, with D and G.

Today didn't really go as planned...we were on our way to Belgrade to see a draft horse farming competition and found out it was postponed due to rain....
 
 
 
 
 
Detour to St. Paul to the farmer's market--came home with far too many peppers-cayenne, poblano, sweet. Loved the pouring rain that felt like home (but it was warm). Brunch. Home to batten down hatches. Ducks very happy and bedraggled. Power went out for 2 hours. Not much to do but attempt my new knitting project with Starburst's yarn and read my horse training book. Can't go to the horse show tomorrow since our neighbour is coming to cut our fields for us--hopefully it will dry nicely and we'll get over a hundred bales this week...hoping...
 
Lorpie is still with us, for now. Attempting fluid therapy but the volumes she needs are huge. No oral gavage possible since her crop still has delayed emptying. Skin looks a little better even after a tiny bit of SQ fluids last night.  I need to get in another hundred before today is over. Vet says nothing left to do for Lorpie-she's likely riddled with cancer and this is it. While I agree he's probably right we can't bring her back to 100%, and I don't think it would be fair to even try to put her through another Minnesota winter, I wanted to try fluids and a bit of ranitidine to see if we can give her a few weeks.  Don't really know how it will go at this point. Her weight is holding despite her inappetance, and the fact I can't gavage her since her crop is emptying much too slowly.  I will run out of LRS soon, and won't be able to get any more. Really wish I had injectable ranitidine. I have no idea if the tiny bit of a pill I force feed her is even being digested properly. She's standing by the patio door, eyes closed, with the breeze blowing on her face. She had a great summer.  Considering she came down with this illness in March, I'm amazed she's still with us. The last few months have been a gift. Can't really hope for more than that.
 
Lorpie, Marigold and Petunia meeting Nutmeg, and her future buddies Pepper and Venga : ) Spring 2010

 
 
What's for lunch? 2 seconds later the top of G's sandwich was stolen, and Lorpie the Wise ran off with her bounty.


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment