Sassy did indeed have a clutch out in the field. G was able to see a wagging drake tail out there...so he snuck out to see what was going on. He said the nest was completely hidden by the shoulder height grasses--all bent over so all he could see was a tiny hole tunnelled through. When he brought me out to show me later so we could mark the spot, Bossy drake was sitting with her, and buff drake was standing guard.
We went out after dark and I collected her, and G took her eggs, and we put her back in with her duck family. She would have sat on those eggs for a month, and that's just too many long dark nights tempting mammals with large teeth to come and find her...(not to mention that we do not have room for 12 ducklings right now...) Her thanks for our efforts to keep her safe? She spewed smelly duck feces all over me. Fair enough, I suppose.
The guinea keets are growing fast, and are pretty much fully feathered. The Wedge babies are all pretty big now...we'll have to make some decisions soon. Some of them are growing out of their gawky teenage phase and turning into really beautiful birds. I feel good that they are having what I think is a pretty good life. They range pretty far, hunt, rest in rafts under the trees, play, fight, and graze. Oh, and don't forget dig. They've found our latest compost pile and have a great time digging for bugs, and turning our compost for us.

The horses are great-despite the horn flies still tormenting them. They can stay out and not get overheated, and I can spend more time out there not getting overheated too!! Some of the pastures are showing a bit of cool grass regrowth, so I'm pretty grateful for that. Don't want to burn through all our hay....Now is the time to watch for weeds though. I walk the fenceline every day and find new nightshade. : ( I hate it!!! Luckily it smells and tastes very bitter and it's likely that the horses would spit it right out if they accidentally grabbed some, but I'm not taking that chance.
Oak did have a little tantrum yesterday though....I was putting up chook exclusion fence around the greenhouse and all of a sudden he came thundering by, neck outstretched, bared teeth in what could be considered an equine snarl, little Winny trying to put distance on him, but not succeeding, and running out of fence and any escape route. Man the scream that came out of my throat must have been heard for a few miles. People might have been thinking I was about to murder someone name Oakley. I went out to give Winny a chance to get around Oak so he wasn't trapped at the fenceline, and there must have been something about my face or body language because Oakley flinched when I took a step at him, and put his head down. Grrrrrr....But I'm glad that he is still the smooshy cuddly Oak Bear when it's appropriate, but I am able to maintain some physical boundaries that he'll understand. He's not allowed to get bargy with me. He's not allowing to crowd me and Winston in the barn when I'm leading Winny out. It really does work when I make sure I keep consistent with that sort of training. He was walking beside me out in the pasture, not on a lead, and several times I stopped suddenly, and he stopped too, instantly, as Sara Beth is teaching me is appropriate, and means he's paying attention. Lots of praise Oak bear! Now be nice to Winny!!!
Heading to Osceola today to the yarn shop. The owner will be teaching me to make a Fair Isle hat (traditional Shetland pattern). Wonder what she'll think of our yarn?
Also taking a recheck fecal in for the lambs--hope they are clear....The hoof trimming and checks went well for the other six on Sunday. Only a few minor issues. I'm really glad we did it--those hooves couldn't wait until November when we deworm. It goes much more quickly when you do them every few months. I can't believe how big Mama Barley is...She's so gorgeous. Easily 100lbs, likely more.
![]() |
| Beautiful Mama Barley from back in the winter... |
![]() |
| Quick shot of some yummy late season harvest from last night. |



No comments:
Post a Comment