Wednesday, June 26, 2013

95% Humidity, 73F Dewpoint = SOG

Looked outside this morning and the field had disappeared. We were in a fog--or a cloud-I'm not sure-it's literally like someone throws a wet blanket on you when you step out the door.
 
Unfortunately I slept past my alarm, so I'm getting a late start. So this is what I've done so far:
 
Made Lorpie breakfast. Oatmeal, yogurt, egg. Made coffee for me.
 
Let the guineas out. Let the Pepper crew out. Let the ducks out. Let Millie, Petunia and Phoenix out and refilled their waterer. Let the sheep into their new pasture. Let the Flan crew out. Collected eggs. Let the Wookie crew out. Checked on the BASW nestlings.
 
Had  to catch a very angry garter snake who'd found his way into the chook palace--and judging by the way he was coiling and threatening with his little mouth open he'd been in there for some time getting the chicken eye (literally) from the hens, who will normally go after the smaller red-bellied snakes.  Lucky for him his threat display was heeded. Unfortunately for me I was the one that needed to move him, so of course he sprayed all over me when I caught his tail and he managed a tiny bite before I could restrain his head. They are so much more aggressive than the red-bellieds--and I can usually catch them nicely without spraying ensuing but this time I don't believe it was the handlers fault--he was just so freaked--I would be too if dinosaur birds had cornered me!!



Gave Oak bear his mask--flovent and combivent. It's so humid I want him to be comfortable today--especially because I'm supposed to have a lesson tonight if all goes well and my farrier finally shows up and deals with the loose shoe he's had for a week.

I really want to learn to pull shoes and do a bit of trimming at the very least. Some day if we move to a more remote property we will likely need to be even more self-sufficient, so I always have that in the back of my mind. What else do we need to learn and be prepared for? So much!!  Gave him his eye ointment.

Talked to the vet re: Winston's blood work, and the plan. He needs a week of antibiotics, some dex, and an immune system booster IV shot. When he came to us he had an intermittent cough, and puffy eyes.  So I finally had the cough looked into yesterday. He'd been eating hay that was so dusty all winter at his other place...in an overhead feeder which is also a no-no. 

Fit him with a new halter that was too small for Oak, one with nice fuzzy fleece on it so his face doesn't keep getting rubbed.  Brought them out to their new pasture we set up last night--it's covered in clover and ox eye daisies and grass up to their elbows. Would make for some lovely photos but I bet my camera lens would fog right up if I brought it out there today!!
 
Broke up a bad drake fight---I heard it all the way from the pond paddock--which is pretty amazing considering they are like de-barked dogs--they can honk a bit but are mostly silent. Bossy had Buff by his left wing--choked right up high on the patagial ligament. Jerk! I had to tackle him and restrain him while Buff ran away to look for his pride, and to fix his feathers. I checked Bossy's feet and claws while I held him, and them dumped him in the freshly cleaned pool. Bad Bossy.

Fed the chicks and their broody mom who are still in the brooder downstairs.

Think I'll grab some breakfast, and get on the rest of my list. Two days until I go home to BC...and I'm getting nervous about leaving the farm. I'm also wondering what I'm going to do every morning without animals to check on??

No comments:

Post a Comment