Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Notes from a few days--Lace is sick.

Tues. June 4th.

I haven't felt much like writing today, other than writing up our sheep health record, since Lace is sick.  I have some cute photos of the mourning dove fledglings, some duck photos, and a few of the sheep and the horses. Just not feeling motivated on this grey and dull day.  Glenn is in Chile, and I stayed up way too late last night. Didn't help that I totally lost track of the time now that the days are so long and I didn't even get in the house until 10pm.  I had been checking out Lace after I noticed she wasn't well, then got distracted fawning over the smooshy Oak bear, and it was a little past dusk when I realized Lorpie wasn't waiting by the back door for me and I only had a few minutes left of usable light to find her.  Problem with chooks is that if you try to use your recall after they've started to roost for the night, they won't budge.  After about 10 minutes of checking under every tree and checking the basement multiple times  (while trying to remain calm) I finally found her on the bottom shelf of the seed starting shelf in the basement.  I should have known--she's too smart to stay outside and I've been leaving the sliding door open for her.  Can only leave it open a bit because if it's wide open the ducks will invite themselves in and poop everywhere. So glad it's a painted concrete floor!!

I have a massive list of things I need to do this week but it all went out the window today while I've been worried about Lace.  I spoke to the vet from Wisconsin earlier today, and we decided to start her on penicillin twice a day, and if that doesn't work he will either dispense a better antibiotic or he'll have to come out and we might do bloodwork depending on physical exam.

Wed. June 5th.

Lace is the same or worse today. The vet is coming in a few hours. There's a light rain today and it's nice and breezy, so I'll enjoy working outside. It's almost 11am and I'm just in for a quick breakfast before I go and muck out the stalls.  The rain is keeping the bugs down, so Winston and Oakley are full of beans.  When I let Oak out to pasture he galloped then fully cleared a grassy berm. Awesome! Would love to be good enough to ride him over something like that. Still looking for a trainer for him/us.  I lunged him yesterday at least, so he's getting a bit of exercise but I would not have dared get on him in his current mindset. 

The guineas went fully AWOL yesterday, and my neighbour came to knock on my door and tell me they had been up on her deck, and her dog might have spooked them.  I found Chaos in their fenced in yard, and he couldn't figure out how to escape.  We found the other three on the edge of forest, right along the road, and they followed me back home where they promptly disappeared again.  I'm keeping them in the garage today so I don't have to worry about them while I'm focusing on Lace.

It was cold(ish) out yesterday so Lorpie wasn't too keen to stay out too long, and neither was I.  I finished plying my yarn, and started spinning some of the roving I had left from my class.  I wanted to practice again before starting on my new Shetland roving.  Lorpie was so charming last night, as she seemed to need company just as much as I did.  She laid in the hallway facing into the room where I was spinning, so she could watch me. 

Well I guess I should get on with it.  Winston likes to come in to his stall midday for a nap, so I want to get it cleaned before then. Still have photos from the last week to add. Hopefully later today...

No comments:

Post a Comment