Sunday, June 9, 2013

Long week

So it was pretty tough this week with my worries about Lace. She seems to have come around mostly, so a huge weight is off.  It's amazing how grateful I am to hear her screaming at me again (grain pig).  When she's back to 100% I'll try to start with the halter training. I'd been holding off for months since our Shetland owner friends said most of the generic halters out there don't work so well-so I'd planned to order one of the tried and tested ones, but gave in to an impulse buy at Tractor Supply Co. in Wisconsin last week. We'll see if she slips it and runs away giving me dirty looks...




Sad little monkey..

Growing in her adult teeth.


Sick Miss Lace...

It's a little bit of a blur, this past week.  Some sadness at missing friends---relationships that will never be the same (or not be at all), frustration at not finding anyone (yet) to help me with Oakley, some lovely time working in the rain, some time to get to know Winston a little bit more.  I don't think he likes Oakley very much, but they've settled into something of a routine already so I'm not too worried about it.  I do think that Winston has some Cushing's, because his hip wound from Oakley is taking forever to heal.  He's a smart old boy, and I'm looking forward to building a rapport with him the way I have with Oak. 






More?



Winny is pushing back a little which is not surprising, but it stops when I don't let him get away with it. I just can't believe how little he knows in the way of voice commands and such. I took the opportunity last night while flushing his wound to work on some basic commands.  He's a pig for the treats and he's very attentive so this will be fun.





Oakley has gotten very good at telling me where to look for ticks-and stands so still while I remove them. I really do think he adores getting attention.  Not such a romantic sounding animal care opportunity, I know, but I'm always charmed by the trust and the stillness of a 1400 lb animal quietly listening to my voice and seemingly understanding the care and affection I'm offering.




Peace--if only for a few moments...





No comments:

Post a Comment