Saturday, June 1, 2013

Winston runs away from Oak when he's just had enough.  Not sure it it's because Oakley bit him that first day at pasture, or whether Winston is just needing some space in general.  This is still a big change for him, losing his herd he's been with for ten years.  Bought him a fly sheet on the very same day the biting flies arrived. He had blood spots on his legs so I grabbed a couple of Oak's leg wraps and put them on Winny, so now he's sporting some lovely scrunchy Flashdance leg warmers.  Must get some for him that actually fit!! I put him in his stall every afternoon so he can get some relief from the bugs and the heat, and some nap time.  Oakley won't leave him, and stands in the aisle of the barn keeping watch.

Turns out that Winston foundered 10 years ago (mild, front feet only) so I'm super nervous about him being on grass too much, especially our rich grass that is almost two feet tall in some places.  His eyes aren't so puffy anymore, and I wonder if it has to do with his dentistry and TMJ adjustment? Maybe he had poor lymph drainage since he could barely move his mandible? Maybe it's the bute? Maybe it's the fact that he's not eating hay out of an overhead feeder, where the dust and moulds could fall in his eyes.  Who knows--but he looks better and younger already. I also suspect he's got a bit of COPD, as many older horses do in northern climates.  He still moves stiffly, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the MSM and some more activity will do for him.  Still need to find out how his feet are doing when he gets the rest of his spring vaccines.

G had a short day at work yesterday so we worked outside from about 3pm to 9pm yesterday.  He tore down fences, put up new electric, scythed a bit, and a million other things.



 I tended to most of the critters, shifted chicken tractors so they could have fresh grass, checked how moults are going, checked Rusty's chronic beak issue, cuddled our super affectionate Buff Orpington who runs to me and stands between my feet until I pick her up.  She puts her chin on my shoulder and falls asleep while I pet her. I can't believe I'm still surprised by these beasts.  Of course while I'm standing there with Buff, Pepper is tugging my pant leg with her beak, and Venga is roaring at me in her crazy Americauna/dinosaur voice.

 It was so nice out yesterday---windy and sunny, so I asked G to move my skirting table outside.  I put on some tunes and started skirting Oats' fleece.  Aside from it raining on me four times during said skirting, I've concluded that working on it outside is much better, as I can use the wind to my advantage, like the old way of separating wheat and chaff.




Hoping to get a round pen session with Oakley at the neighbours' tomorrow. He needs the exercise and to get some of his crazies out before I start riding hin more.  I'd gotten his weight down nicely until this crazy grass started to grow.  Now I swear he's put on forty pounds in a week.  Frustrating!!
I'll have to keep an eye on it.

We're toying with the idea of getting a few more sheep.  We have plenty of pasture and we really do enjoy them.  Maybe a few wethers with different fleece colours.  Perhaps from our friends in Princeton, MN.  It was at their farm where we first saw the Shetlands, and figured they'd be perfect for us.  http://www.windlandflats.com/Sheep_for_Sale.html

Icelandics:
 



I also like the look of Icelandic sheep, but we've been told they are more aloof than our friendly Shetlands.  I also completely love the Scottish Blackface breed, but I think it was them or the Welsh that don't flock well, and in handling and managing these beasts you can use flocking to your advantage, not some crazy crafty scattering beasts.  (think fence busting down and sheep all over the place)


Scottish Blackface:



Who knows...The woman who told us these things is a sheep farmer from Wisconsin.  She sells her artisan cheese at the St. Paul farmers's market, and has tons of experience, and unlike Minnesotans is very willing to share her knowledge and offer advice.  So many times we have found advice from books highly lacking, or just outright WRONG.


Had some amazing skies yesterday, which made up for the fact that my fleece skirting was interrupted by rain.  I grabbed my camera and headed across the road to watch the changing skies and the hunting birds. Really hoping to upgrade my equipment this year. 







Well the torrential rain finally stopped, so I'd better get out there and check on the beasts and try to do some work.  Never a shortage to things to do around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment