Well I've been home (BC) for five days now...I've acclimated surprisingly well to the traffic, the noise and people. The night I arrived I'd had a full day on the farm, including a very difficult first lesson on Oakley, and I'm still paying for it..I was pretty tired at bedtime,what was my 4am, but I still checked the tide tables and noticed some nice low tides...I guess I'm just surprised how I can just switch gears. Minnesota girl. BC girl. I have multiple personalities and many past lives it seems.
The Sea to Sky drive to Squamish was beautiful of course, and I got a little upset...not sure if it was the fatigue or the reminder of how much I miss BC. Howe Sound is stunning, and I so wanted to be out there diving or boating. Looks like an algae bloom up closer to Squamish-or turbidity from something else?? Not sure, but the water turned various shades of turquoise and beigey-green.
Vancouver traffic still drives me nuts, but even the worst drivers here aren't as aggressive as the average Minnesota driver. Jen and I walked around the Science World/Olympic Village area together, had lunch, and chatted incessantly about a billion things, as we always did. I'm so lucky to have such a brilliant friend.
Spent Canada Day in WR along the beach with Mom and Al--a great time! Dinner out on their patio overlooking the ocean-watching gulls and eagles and sailboats...I was alone out there for a bit after dinner, waiting for the fireworks. I felt compelled to talk to the crow on the wire close to me. I didn't interest him much. Too many days without talking to animals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's so odd to be transplanted from a way of life, into something without your regular routine or structure. I've always been the more adaptable go with the flow type-but the routines and structure that involve my animals are what I miss. I miss making Lorpie breakfast while she stands in the kitchen, all black and green and beautiful and thoughtful, looking up at me like a dog, watching the bowl, and my every move.
Glenn watches how I interact with them, all of their individual personalities, how I talk to them, how I manage their complex needs and behaviours. He says he loves it, and it's amazing. My experience with them, stories, training and photos would likely be more respected if I was doing this as some sort of research project. Experiments, double blind studies, whatever. I was pleasantly surprised at my MN Zoo interview a while back when the bird department superviser was interested in my experience, since she considers private aviculture experience to be just as valuable as job experience. As much as I don't care what people think about it, sometimes it gets a little old to see people snicker and think "chickens: how quaint"--like I'm off my rocker.
I know people still think I'm weird for bringing them to the US. The bewildered look, the question (sort of rude-but people can't censor themselves) "why didn't you just sell them and get new ones??!?!?!?" Ok--just sell your dog or your parrot and get a new one, ok? They are not "things". They are not my dinner. And even if some of them were, they wouldn't receive the disdain that so many people offer up when they make jokes about killing and eating a whole slew of vulnerable, easily abused animals. If I'm going to do a study, maybe that should be the subject--the attitudes of some people towards animals traditionally viewed as food animals? (as an aside--songbirds are being hunted by the thousands in parts of the world--all for a little bite of meat--check out Nat Geo for that disturbing story) Ok-back to my rant. On facebook alone I could collect dozens of cruel quotes and snarky remarks toward animals--people make these to look clever? Powerful? Who knows. But anyone who writes things like that does not gain favour with me.
My pets are not lesser creatures. If you don't get it, don't judge. I'm not hurting anyone. So think what you like, but kindly keep it to yourself. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten? If you don't have anything nice to say....
I miss going to greet Oakley in the morning, his bright expectant look, "good morning sweetheart!" : ) a hug of that giant neck and a kiss, and asking for him to stand for his halter and fly mask-but he knows the drill.
After getting bitten by the Island bug, and the subsequent chicken bug, both Glenn and I were looking forward to the future where we might have a hobby farm. We had no idea that the opportunity would present itself years earlier than we'd expected. I think I'm pretty lucky.
BC girl needs to get outside now and get some ocean air. I need to check the tide tables and figure a good time to get to the beach.
But on a humorous note, to follow my rant:
http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=EADC17C55558EC771C29B1DCA1C1EC92

No comments:
Post a Comment