A male rose breasted grosbeak was at our waterer this morning--funny how they find water here when there's a huge pond right across the road! What a cool bird.
Cranes have flown low over the field en route to the next property, but I haven't seen any land here. Last year we had parents and a chick arrive here every morning for a while, likely to hunt for froggy breakfast. Today when I was walking the horse pasture to see how many days they'd have left on it the frogs were so numerous that they lept in front of my every footstep as if I'd splashed a puddle and they were the drops flying out in every direction.
I've heard Zantar calling, but haven't seen him today. Maybe he'll join me in the garden later this evening. Oak and Win are still avoiding bugs by hanging in the barn. I was spraying Oak and putting on his leg wraps when I noticed a large swelling on his girth line--about the size of my palm. I'm not too worried about it, don't think it's an abcess, cleaned up the scab and didn't see any puncture/laceration marks. My suspicion is that it's a horse/deerfly bite gone bad--a severe reaction and cellulitis. Just unfortunate considering I just booked a lesson with our coach on Friday. If the swelling doesn't go down we'll just have to do ground work, or maybe some fancy long line training maybe. I need to buy some spurs though, since now I realize that when properly used they are just an extension of the rider, and not cruel like the old spiky western spurs you see in rodeo. My legs just aren't strong enough for such a big beast!!
G has gone to northern Minnesota to Ely, for BOD and Tech Comm meetings, and a hike into the deposit site. I think that's what's going on...I have usually been in the loop on pretty well all work related things but it seems these days he either doesn't feel like talking about it or we just have so much farm stuff to discuss in our limited time together that takes precedence.
I was over near the barn starting to put up electric so Oak and Win wouldn't eat the corn and sunflower patches, when a crazy butterfly came by, and I was so intrigued with it and it's uniqueness that I ran for my camera, then proceeded to spend the next 30 min chasing it--it was so fast--had funny birdlike wings, and eventually ended up in our garden feeding off our dill and borage, where I grabbed a few shoddy photos, but good enough for and ID when I have a chance to do some research. I had to laugh at myself after that--no wonder some days I don't feel like I've accomplished what I set out to-I get so easily distracted in a place like this!! I pictured myself running after it like Buff did last week--you can sort of tell when a chook is just enjoying a chase, but is not so serious and bent on carnage.
Well I should run---little brown duck is off her egg, so I think I'd better go and steal it while she's away..
Time for evening turnout, stall cleaning, top up feed and water for all, some weeding in the garden, and some sheep and lamb cuddling. Then maybe I'll think of something to make for dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment