So we put the new lambs Prince and Henry out in the hard paddock the other day so the big sheep could meet hem safely throught the bars. It was going well, the lambies were having a great time out on grass after a week in a stall. When they were actually out full contact they were chased and headbutted by the big ewes. Mounted by a few of them. The little ones kept running back to us for safety. Lace came with them of course. She was great with them. She'll be a great mom someday I bet.
I felt like I'd sent my kids to a school full of bullies...Barley and Starburst were the worst.
I felt like I'd sent my kids to a school full of bullies...Barley and Starburst were the worst.
A few pics:
| UM, WHAT? |
| LACE AND HER TWO NEW PETS |
| A LITTLE FREAKED OUT... |
| RUN HENRY RUN!!!!! |
| MAMA BARLEY SHOWING PRINCE WHO'S BOSS AROUND HERE |
| LACE WAS VERY GOOD WITH THE NEW LAMBS--BUT HAD TO COME AND MAKE SURE THEY WEREN'T TAKING HER PLACE..... |
So as mentioned previously, they are back in their stall for now. Will try again after some days of getting along ok, and safe nights in their stall. The stress of introduction is enough to get them sick if we aren't careful, and I'm not willing to risk that. Besides, G and I are having a great time sitting in the stall with them--it's a rare chance for G to relax and zone out after work, and he gets to pet them and pretend he has a dog again : ) These ones just have hooves.
*************************************
Paddock was filled with sand yesterday. It looks great! I had to take the fence boards down so the bobcat could get through, and even though I'd loosened the rusty bolts the day before I still ended up with a sore torqued arm after the driver kicked since I didn't brace properly and was using my non dominant hand while the right was hold up the fence board. Oi that hurt. Must be tired from working with Oak's foot. For the most part despite my care and not tending toward the clutzy I am usually nursing bruises and cuts of all sorts, and lose track of what incident led to what wound. I always wear gloves in the garden though....Lots of stinging nettles here, and the thistle thorns are so thick they will rip your skin. Even the hops has tiny little razor blade hairs on the vines. The defenses of plants...some pretty amazing adaptations. They've earned my respect!
I'm feeling better today, and Oak seems to be better today too--lots of full weight bearing. Will wean him off the bute and see how he goes, and continue soaking and wrapping.
He made me laugh out loud yesterday...I looked way out to his pasture and saw half of the huge gnarly willow tree shaking and bobbing. Our elephant bear has found a rubbing tree! He stood underneath the branch and arched his beautiful neck so he could rub his crest on the branch. this explains why any trees at a draft horse farm tend to be beaten up pretty badly, or fenced off. I can't believe how he moved half that tree!! The bark is completely pulled off, and his mane is turning to mats. But he apparently enjoyed himself quite a bit. I sprayed soother spray down his crest and he seems to be fine now. Didn't find any ticks, but I'm sure there will be another flush of them soon. Will have to attend to his mane in addition to his treatment later.
Right then, off I go.
What an adopted mom Lace is! Those pics... my poor little nephew. Glad Oak is weight bearing. reduces worry about laminitis for sure. I can totally see him rocking and rolling that tree!
ReplyDelete