I was having what was shaping up to be my second worst Christmas EVER, but my parents arrived on boxing day and it's been great to have them here. We had a few warm lovely days (+7C!!!) and had a fantastic bonfire out under the stars. It's been -26C for the past few days--only warming up to about -18C during the day.

The guineas are starting to lose their mummified toes. It's rather sad. We've had a sick silver laced Wyandotte hen inside the house for a few days as well, but she's made a pretty good turn around. She was so depressed and was going downhill--I was really thinking we might lose her.


Glenn and I are both missing Canada, and friends and family. I think we'll watch our favourite movie again while my folks are here. ('One Week'). Since I was thinking of that movie and all the great music in it, I put on some Sam Roberts this afternoon while we were inside having lunch. This song came on, and I thought of our friends on Vancouver Island who have had a ROTTEN farm Christmas. They've had some very sad losses and Glenn and I are terribly sad for them. The thing is--we know how it feels. How much of your heart and soul you put into keeping your charges safe, and raising them with compassion and kindness tends to leave a person horribly vulnerable, but that's the risk we all take.

I'll have some time to post photos and a longer post later this week. Right now we are gearing up for another bonfire (it's -25C right now) and the wind chill will be fierce, but we had so much fun doing a bonfire and old fashioned wassail to the apple trees last year on New Year's eve that we really want to give it a go again, despite the weather.
Hoping things will start to improve for us all. 2013 has brought a little too much grief for my liking.
The horses are waiting at the gate, telling me it's time for their dinner. I'll put on my 15lbs of warm clothing and get out there to do my best for them, and all will be right.

No comments:
Post a Comment