Tuesday, December 10, 2013

In need of the tears of the phoenix

 
 
 
 
We had some sad losses after a fluke accident on Friday afternoon.  Our guineas escaped at dusk and stayed out in -26C temps, with high humidity. A few stayed out a second night, at -21C.  I'm pretty mad at myself, and at Minnesota right now.
 
 
 
 
 
I'll write about what happened soon, but right now I have animals to try to keep alive, and that isn't so easy these days it seems.  At least Oakley and Winny were running and acting crazy this morning--that cheered me up a bit. It was -17C with no wind for a bit so I took their blankets off.  We are expecting wind chills of -35C overnight tonight, so I think I'll lock all of the beasts in the barn.
 
Frostbite is my new nemesis, and it's so sad to see our beautiful young birds suffering like this.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Good bye Miss Demeanor. I'm so sorry we couldn't keep you safe. 

1 comment: