I had a great trip up to northwestern Minnesota to see the prairie chickens. Hopefully soon I will have time to post some photos.
The morning after I got home Oakley was very sick. Luckily I'd already had a vet visit booked for him, over a month in advance. Now it's five days later and he's back to his normal self, but will be on medication for a while. The pollen counts from trees in bloom have been high to extremely high, and the north wind pretty much blows it right into his face when he stands in his favourite corner of the paddock. It was a very traumatic day for me, as it always is when I see him suffer with this illness of his.
It was 25 C last week, and today it's 2 C. At least this has knocked down the mosquitoes that were starting to make things unpleasant.
Mom and Al have been here almost a week. They leave tomorrow evening. They got to see our sheep shearing day, and helped out with the fleeces. They also watched me hiving our first bees on Saturday night. They helped me search for lost horse shoes in the pasture, wrangle wayward house chickens, manage the kitchen and food during these very busy days, water garden beds, clean up more of the downed poplar debris. Glenn was able to plow through many of his projects since we had this rare extra help around the house.
Tomorrow is farrier day.
I'm looking forward to some more relaxing days coming up. I have eight beautiful fleeces to skirt and decide what to do with. We also have eight naked and cold sheep! You can never predict the weather in Minnesota.
Well it's time to get off of the couch. Having two snoozing hens beside me doesn't help--I would love to indulge in a nap as well. I need the extra energy, since we are considering an after dark attempt at catching a goose we found in a leg hold trap this afternoon. She got away from me and into the pond, and is still very fast and mobile. What I really need is a net with weights on it. We'll see what the evening brings.
Photos soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment