The farrier came for Winston and Oakley, and all went well.
We've had some ridiculous cold weather including gales and snow and sleet since we got the sheep sheared just over a week ago. One morning I found Prince huddled up in the hay nest he'd built under one of their outdoor shelters. He didn't get up to greet me, and he didn't get up for food. He was shivering, and much too quiet. I don't have a sheep or goat coat, and really didn't have any old sweatshirts that I could fit on him. I made sure the flock was well fed that day, and went out in search of the largest dog coat I could find. But of course G was away in Denver, so I was alone trying to put it on him. Apparently a piece of polar fleece is terrifying to sheep.
I was pretty sure he was feeling better that evening when I saw him eagerly mounting Mama Ewe. Boys!
Over the last few days I've seen a few of the ewes shivering and looking cold as well. So for the past few nights I have locked them in the barn out of wind, and put a heat lamp in with them. Unfortunately Henry hogs the heat, or at the very least shared it with Prince just a little bit. In the morning there are two big holes in the hay bedding (sheep 'nests') so that's how I can tell how many sheep had some heat! Even though the days will be warming up this week, the nights still drop to just above freezing, so I think I will put up an extra heat lamp just in case.
I've started moving some perennials around in the herb garden to make room for new plants. Some of my new seeds have sprouted, but many haven't, likely since it's been too cold in the greenhouse at night. Some of the basil took a hit, so we will have to start some more. Before G's trip he moved all of the tomatoes in pots to the garage and put them under lights. And in the garage some of them took a hit from some curious mice. Can't win! It's just the risks we take starting plants so early. In past years we'd kept them in the basement. Maybe we will do that again next year. Or maybe if things go as planned we will have a nice insulated greenhouse built.
Granny Rose and Fern have been having fun full days out ranging and digging and helping me disassemble the herb spiral. Granny Rose needs to be tapped again, her belly is full and taut and likely not very comfortable. I have a few other things to attend to first though.
I have to do a full inspection of the bee hives today, and use the smoker for the first time (it calms them). Yesterday the hives looked very active in the midday sun, so at least I know I haven't killed them all!
Late afternoon I have to take our hen Pencil in for surgery. We aren't sure what we will find. I'm glad she's been having some very active days ranging with the palace flock, because they could be her last. She is an anesthetic risk to be sure, so I hope I can do my best for her, and my vet friend can be on her game as well. I haven't done anesthesia in several months since Granny Rose went under, and she had complications. That was a hit to my confidence, but I have to put that behind me and be in the moment and do what I can do. The rest is up to her.
Hoping to have good news to report on the outcome.
Due to the horrible avian influenza outbreaks in Minnesota, we've decided not to let our ducks have full free range out into the fields. Our seasonal wetland has filled up, and we've noticed some wild ducks visiting and making use of it. So the least we can do is keep our birds from going out there. They have a huge electronetted area in the backyard, so they will just have to be happy with that until the threat is has passed. I have read that temperatures above 70 F can kill the virus. So perhaps when summer arrives with a vengeance we will be in the clear. Millions of poultry have already been killed by the virus and the culling that takes place when a commercial flock is afflicted.
On a happier note, when we need to just slow down from our manic spring to-do lists, we can 'time out' and watch any number of wild birds courting and making nests all over our property. We had to thwart a chickadee's attempt to bore into our house for his cavity nest though. Sorry little buddy.
Wish me luck with the bees!
Good luck with the bees :D Have you named them yet?
ReplyDelete