I feel like I have two long haired cats stuck up my nose. This cold is awful!! We have warm days when I should be working outside non stop, and I have little endurance and can't breathe so well.
I took yesterday off of my TRC volunteer obligation--enough to take care of on the farm. I got all of the bantams out into chicken tractors so they could have some sun and some actual real grass, which is magically alive. The chickweed in my herb garden and all around the property is coming alive, and is a big favourite. The mustards and turnips we'd planted are even showing life, especially where we'd rotated the sheep through them. The soil is black and gorgeous there now too.
G got home from his Denver trip around 4:30 yesterday, mostly over his cold and full of energy to start our weekend early. He likes to say "here, let me help you in the barn" then takes my fork and sled and goes to dig swales instead. Although to be fair, he's doing a bang up job of getting the thawing manure off the paddock and dragging it uphill to the swales. I dragged two loads up the other day, and that's all I could manage in my semi hypoxic state.
We had a fun time watching the new hens range with the rest of the crew, and except for a few hiccups managed to get them to follow the roosters back to the front door when it was past proper roosting time. I'd rather they learn on their own, rather than being chased and stressed out every night. I feel that they remember things better when they figure them out on their own. I've also asked G to agree that chicken scratch is ONLY to be used for big rewards at night and when asking them to follow us.
Rocket was out with his girlfriend last night, flying over the fields, and would head towards us and the barn, slow down his flight and float a bit when we called him. She is still too skittish and will fly away whenever we come near.
Today is Saturday. We are heading on an hour road trip north to look at a small trailer we found on Craigslist. G wants to turn it into a pasture chicken mobile. I love road trips out into the rural areas! We will also stop at a giant farm store that we rarely get to go to. Sounds like a perfect Saturday plan to me.
On this day, one year ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment