Sunday, February 1, 2015

Winter is back--distracting ourselves with projects


Not much time to write today---the northwest wind is bitter and awful today and that means extra things to do to keep the animals happy and safe.  I came in for breakfast after an hour or more of morning chores with my face frozen and hands not so happy since I've misplaced my number one winter essential piece of clothing--my Shetland wool half finger gloves.  

I think I heard G out in the grotto with the chainsaw again.  Not sure how safe it is with the high winds.  Last weekend he took his helmet off and started ripping limbs apart by hand, and a buckthorn branch jumped up and smacked him in the back of the head, and punctured his scalp. Scary! 

I want to go out and measure and graph the herb and flower garden so I can start planning, and have a better idea how many plants I can fit in there.  We have to place our Richter's Herbs order soon, since we will have to start many plants indoors in the next few months.

G found a great topo map for us--much better than the one the university gave us after we had our pastures tested.  He found it via USGS Lidar I believe. It's several years old, but all we need it for it the contours (that's where you place swales). 

This summer may be another drought summer (FEAR AND DREAD--hence the extra need for swales in a hurry) The lack of snow pack this winter is not good!  Our first summer here was very dry, so we sort of know what to expect.  Pastures turning to crispy hard pan. We are talking about trying for one cut of hay on the hay field, and then if it grows back well we may have to sacrifice a second cutting and actually graze the horses on it instead, since the other pastures we are still trying to rehabilitate contain grass types that just shut down in the summer heat.  





Knowing a piece of land is a good feeling.  But we've never had any seasons match previous years!   We'll just call it climate change preparedness school.

No comments:

Post a Comment