Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chip of a Star









What a beautiful song!



Feeling pretty sad today.  My friend back home lost his wife this week.  She had breast cancer.  I just can't imagine how you deal with that.  I never met her. I think she was only in her late thirties or early forties.  

Makes my other reason for sadness seem pretty silly.  Our sweet and funny garage pigeon didn't come home to roost last night.  I knew he would leave one day, but not this soon.  I just hope he found his way down the road to the flock of pigeons who live in a small barn, with two donkeys and a horse.  He really did brighten my days. 

He'd recently taken to showing off for us with some incredible flying.  Yesterday he must have been feeling good with the high winds and bright blue skies--I watched him flap hard and practically go straight up, and up and up gaining incredible altitude until I lost him in the sun.  Then thirty seconds later there was a roaring sound as he banked hard and circumnavigated the house in about 1.2 seconds, only a few feet off the ground.   I've only ever heard that roaring sound once before, when a Cooper's hawk rocketed past me in a chase after a mourning dove.   Anyway, he was lovely, and I miss him. 

This morning I took the horses for a walk out to the far paddocks.  It's good for Winston to get him moving a bit every day.  Just ten minutes of hand walking twice a day I'm sure will do wonders. Oakley carried on and pranced and acted impatient while I led Winny.  He figured it was time to play. After I led Winny down to the far paddock and Oak stayed back, I went to Oak and threw the lead rope over his neck, and he walked out with me.  Then he trotted beside me, then I ran with him while he trotted.  Our majestic boy, towering over my head with that giant arching neck...Definitely felt good to be in the moment with him.  Equine therapy. 

I have errands to do today, wish G could come with me to Wisconsin. Most days I don't mind being alone, but lately I think that alone might have turned to lonely. Weekends are too short!  





No comments:

Post a Comment