Introducing the seven new hens to the big flock in the chook palace didn't go so well. I try to let them sort things out, but it was getting a bit nasty, so I broke up some fights and separated them again (they can see each other and hear each other through the door). In our previous experience we have worked through the super nasty behaviours by increasing range during introductions, and a lot of other distractions. We just can't let them range outside right now to help this process along. It was -22 Celsius this morning. Sunny, but not exactly great ranging temperatures.
I was away most of today for my TRC shift, and errands. I caught three huge red tailed hawks in the dark in a flight room today. The slightly unnerving part was hearing the turkey vulture hissing the whole time I was in there searching for the intended patient. Fun and good distraction. But I couldn't wait to get back home this afternoon. I miss the farm so much when I'm away for even a few hours.
G got home before dark just as I was getting into my warm gear for a few hours of night duties. He dressed up and came out to help. He mucked out Winny's stall, fed the sheep grain and hay and had a quick social. Prince and Henry bounced and lept around and made us both laugh. We are lucky in sheep, is what I say. They are truly amazing little beings. Then the most amazing thing: G actually stood still for ten minutes next to Oakley eating hay, while I scrubbed water buckets and finished up. He stood still and enjoyed the sunset to the tune of bluegrass and happy chewing noises. It takes a lot for G to stand still. I try to encourage this, so he can really enjoy and reflect. Be here now.
As I'm typing this little Kitten the house bantam is preening beside me, and just now has jumped on to my arm, a signal that she wants to cuddle and settle in under my arm. Like I've said before, when a creature (wild or domestic) seeks your company, I think it's pretty special.
Time to go--I have another day off the farm tomorrow.
Bee keeping in northern climates at the U of MN. I will most certainly learn a lot! But will be thinking of being home on the farm on our precious weekend...
No comments:
Post a Comment