So many projects lately, I haven't felt clean in a while. All of my cold weather clothes seem to smell more and more like horse and sheep. When I come inside for a break I worry I'm going to make the couch smell too, so I put a blanket down on it just in case. Not that I'm expecting company any time soon. Still pretty much friendless here in MN.

I have a sick hen in the basement brooder. Chili is her name. She is one of the gold-laced wyandottes we adopted from the 4H kid a few years ago. The same place where Miss Buff, Granny Rose and sweet Pearl are from. She'll need some help today. She's always had soft bms and therefore she's gotten used to having her rear end bathed every once in a while. I don't believe she enjoys my company. She tolerates this treatment, but maybe now that she seems to be feeling rotten she will truly appreciate comfort and compassion. Based on what we've seen over almost six years of chicken-keeping I do believe this can happen.
I'm concerned with her weight loss and lethargy, and copious amounts of smelly urates that she's passing. Her crop has not emptied from the little that she ate last night when I hauled her out of the nest box in the dark. I had hoped she was just having a tough moult. She would still come out and eat, and occasionally roost on the big log with her favourite cohorts.
So we will see how things go today.
![]() |
| The three beautiful ladies when they lived with Flan |
I was chatting with my step mom recently and she reminded me that when I was 11 years old I told her that I wanted to marry a farmer, and have cows. I had no recollection of that. Pretty funny! Of course I was reading all of James Herriot's books at the time, so I imagine I was obsessed with becoming a farm vet at that point.
Funny how things have turned out! I didn't marry a farmer. But he's sure turning into one. I don't really know what I am, but he seems to think I'm great so that's good ; )
Gotta run for now. My feathered friends will be needing attention.

No comments:
Post a Comment