Sunday, November 2, 2014

A drastic change -- sub zero weekend


Today was a bit of a shock to the system.  I was awake half the night, really cold.  Had to get up and put on a sweater and ask G to keep me warm.  I couldn't sleep much past 5 am.  Oh well. G had his alarm set for seven---he had somewhere important to go and wanted to get an early start.

I had somewhere to be too, and a pretty tight timeline. However the farm comes first.  Everything froze! The duck pools, the horse water buckets, the hose in the barn from the frost free hydrant.  I plugged in the heat tape to the hydrant right away, then removed the hose, chopped the ice from the top of buckets, bucketed water to soak Oakley's hay, fill two buckets for horses and one for the sheep. One bucket for the ducks, one waterer with hot water for the backyard chickens.  (they refused to come out of their coop, so I fed and watered them in there out of pity)

I had to dig through the hay loft for the electric waterers and buckets.  I was pretty annoyed that G hadn't put them under cover or in tupperware like I'd asked way back in the spring. When winter hits suddenly I really hate spending the time washing barn swallow and mouse crap off of waterers while our chooks are cold and thirsty.  I gradually saw my day off the farm slipping away--but then I refused to get upset about it, or mad at G.  I am at my best when giving our animals what they need (and appreciating this life)--and what we signed up for in this venture!



Found an extension cord so I could hook up at least one waterer for the chook palace.  They were grateful....Puffed up grumpy-looking hens...except for Wookie the super hen.  She thrives in the cold, just like our beautiful Mr. Wedge did.  

Thankfully after an hour my hands were numb (and therefore not as painful), after having to shed my insulated work gloves and rely on my Shetland fingerless gloves only for dexterity.  I guess it will take me a month or so to acclimate.

The ducks entertained themselves with ice shards that I chopped from their pools. I'd forgotten how much they enjoy that.  The hens still refused to emerge from the coop.  Mr. Flan stood hunched up under the spruce, all alone until around 10 am when the few brave ladies felt it was safe to come out.  

G was home from his errand before I was nearly ready to leave.  He picked up a manual stone grinder and a manual blower for a forge.  He said the auction house was incredible, and he had bid on a rocking chair for me :)


I changed out the banties waters, and left some food and water for the wild pigeon who had no interest in leaving the warm garage.  What a crazy zoo we have here...For future reference, she is now known as 'Pigeridoo' (Pidge--er --ee--doo). 

I dressed up in civilian clothes (eg not clothes smelling of horse, sheep, or containing horse cookies, chicken scratch, random hay shards, or multi-species excrement).  I found some good deals at the tack swap.  A stable blanket for Winston for $18.  A boot for him if he throws a shoe for $1 (Old Mac model usually about $80 each I think)  A therapy boot big enough for Oakley for $8, so I don't have to soak his foot in epsom salts in my nice kayak dry bags anymore...The splurge was a pair of winter riding pants, full seat, for $65 (half price).  

I rushed up to Osceola Wisconsin past lovely farms, ponds, golden corn fields, giant ashes and oak trees mostly naked now.  My knitting guru was hosting the event at the 'Art Barn', and I was looking forward to connecting with some creative folks.  I was not disappointed.  The 'how to read a knitting pattern' discussion was still beyond my skill level, but we discussed some private lessons, as well as days when I can join the group at the pub or coffee shop or Art Barn.  I'm definitely the youngest person there, only one other woman my age (a biker no less) but these are women I have no problem engaging with.  They have confidence, life experience, raise their own sheep, alpacas, llamas, border collies, have passion for what they do and the generosity to share what they know. 

I bought some merino/southdown roving, a nice colour I thought would look great plied with Princies fluffy wool. 

A bit of wine and cheese shopping, (goat gouda for $5.99!) and I bolted for home.  I do love my trips to Wisconsin.

G did some great things for me while I was away.  I had asked that he help with some barn chores while I was away, but really didn't expect him to tackle any of it, since he's usually so 'on task' on the weekend, and forgets that I would like him to share some of the animal load when he's home on weekends.

I came home to find clean stalls and he even swept the aisle and mucked out the paddock.  Hay was soaking for the horses, and the best part was the little apple (from our tree) that I found in Oakley's grain bin.  Husband points! 

He had also been working on a winterizing project: attaching clear polycarbonate ('Coverlite' tm) to the banty runs so they essentially turn into greenhouses in the winter, and the birds will be protected from the wind.  It's a more expensive route than we'd gone before, but it goes up faster, looks better, is more durable. Last year I used greenhouse poly.




I was eager to spend time outside with all the beasts after being away so long. It was still so chilly and blustery I broke down and put on my parka, feeling a little wimpy. I was instantly happier, and evening chores were a pleasure.




G went inside to start working on dinner.  As I was locking up and putting turnout blankets on out there in the dark I could smell cardamom wafting from the house.  Extra husband points!  An amazing vegetarian Indian dinner from the Vij's cookbook.

The tough months are approaching, and my focus shifts to finding small comforts to balance out the hard work and extreme working conditions. A nice meal, some candlelight, laughs and chatting about our future plans and daily miracles.  Remember that hierarchy of needs graphic we all studied as kids?  Well in my experience that pyramid changes like the seasons.

It's now Sunday night. Leftovers are ready. Gotta run!




No comments:

Post a Comment