Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A day in the woods



I don't think I actually wrote about our day learning to skid logs with Oakley's driving coach.  It was our anniversary present/outing rather than a dinner out.  We had such an amazing time I swear we were on a high for days afterward! 

We harnessed up Valentine the 20 year old Morgan mare, a brilliant and hard working mare I had met at my four day driving workshop back in June.  Coach brought the chainsaw, G ground drove Val out to the site we needed to work on.  There was a fair bit of blow down, and it was the perfect example of how horse logging or even single horse logging is perfect for some sites.  Large machinery couldn't have gotten in there to do the work without severe disturbance and damage to the land.

It was a perfect autumn day in the forest.  Coach and his wife own about 40 acres I think.

After several hours of this we then got to help groom, harness and hitch up four Morgans and we were treated to a fantastic drive through forest and roads.  

So much fun!! No photos of me--these are all from my phone.



















No comments:

Post a Comment