Tuesday, October 14, 2014

More on our year end harvest weekend



The mighty Tobasco!! Doesn't look mighty.  It's actually really small.  They just weren't going to ripen so G harvested them all, and they are now well on their way to becoming fermented Tobasco sauce.


G needs a bigger kitchen



We shall call this the hot pepper dance, otherwise known as 'don't put your fingers in your eyes'



Some sort of paprika






My last calendula harvest.

We also got quite a haul of raspberries that weekend.  It will be a day I will remember for a long time.  We actually got to work together instead of being on opposite ends of the farm!  We harvested, G put beds to bed (under huge mulch piles of hay), he put together a straw bale cold frame over the volunteer spinach, I fed happy ducks and chooks any spoiled raspberries. 




It was sunny and cold and just how fall should be. Unfortunately I was far too busy to take photos.

We pulled in thyme, savory, sage, comfrey, calendula, raspberries, tomatoes, cukes, at least four types of peppers, spinach, yarrow, catnip, sweet marjoram, lemon balm, anise hyssop, peppermint, spearmint, baby dill (I love volunteer dill), the last of the various squashes.  

The herb spiral in July. Yarrow, marjoram, oregano, lavender, sweet Miss Buff.

I highly recommend partaking in a nicely chilled gewurztraminer with fresh raspberries while taking on such an intense harvest day.  

The next time I picked more raspberries (they survived our frosty days) I was pleased to find more jumping spiders, types I'd never seen before.  I think it's pretty awesome that they sit there waiting for fruit flies to land....Thanks little buddies!  I'm tired of fruit flies in my wine! 




Soon enough my wine will start freezing to the jar within minutes of stepping outside. 
 We've heard that we are in for another tough winter.  I guess we'll find out soon enough!



No comments:

Post a Comment