Monday, October 20, 2014

Farmer D and the Mystery of the AWOL sheep.



I couldn't help that title--I read a lot of mysteries as a kid.


I discovered the sheep up in the swale this morning. Princey baaad hello when he saw me.  I looked up to talk back to him.  They weren't inside their electro netting. How the hell did they get out?? I couldn't see the fence down anywhere.


I found the gate open--the one we've always criticized the latch design on.  I'd added a backup--a piece of plastic twine and carabiner to loop around the fence post.  I'm pretty sure I've written numerous times about my belief in back up systems.  What I haven't written about it that THEY ARE USELESS IF YOU DON'T ACTUALLY ENGAGE THEM. Gah--stupid oversight on my part. The back up system is now an actual rope and latch--easy to use and easy to double check from far away that it's actually engaged.


As with any AWOL incident I remained calm, thought several steps ahead and did my best to act normal, despite Mama Barley's wild eyed look.  I took my time and attached IPOD to stereo, pressed play on 'Morning' by Beck, and gathered some grain to entice them in.  It's amazing how much sheep learn and rely on routine. They're used to grain time being connected with music.  They'll come in from the field and start a ruckus while I'm mucking stalls, as if I was horribly late and better get on with the grain-bringing.


I pulled down one section of electro netting (the most direct route back) and did my usual call.  They returned calmly, but what I didn't realize is that they were also exhausted.






I went about the rest of my morning chores and then finally checked my phone.  I had a voice message from my neighbour explaining that he had eight sheep on his front lawn and he thought that I should come and get them. I couldn't  tell what time the message was sent.  It was then that I started to worry, started to recall an early morning frantic car horn I had heard (I'd assumed it was pheasant on the road--since it's hunting season and the game farm has just released a bunch).  I was in disbelief that they'd gone out to the road, headed several hundred metres west, then all the way up the long driveway to the neighbour's house.  It has to be the wethers' fault--usually is when something goes wrong!

I haven't been doing night check--were they out all night since lockup?  Did they only escape in the early morning when they discovered the gate open? (or leaned on it for a scratch and it popped).

Duration of AWOLness is directly correlated to amount of trouble they could get into.  I'd stake my mediocre stats marks on it.



See? Here's proof:





I found a little bit of sheep manure beside the driveway, what looked like a fresh bite mark on a volunteer radish leaf, one faint hoof print on the hard packed driveway.  I love detective work.  Axle had weed seeds stuck in his mane.  Those only come from Middle Field. There was also an entire dead weed stalk in the backyard by the patio, so one of them must have dragged it back. So I knew in part where they'd been, and where they hadn't.  I didn't find hoof prints heading east.   I was relieved to see that the horribly toxic yew bush beside the driveway did not appear to be grazed.  As soon as we get a chainsaw that thing is coming down!!  This is exactly the reason that plant doesn't belong on a farm.

Later when I chatted with the neighbour she explained that her husband was home alone at the time of the sheep invasion, so he wasn't quite sure how to handle it.  She would have come right over to find me of course. Apparently the sheep terrorized the cat, a gorgeous and merciless bird killer named Nuck. They scared her horse, who in turn scared them.  I wonder if that was what sent them running back home?

The amazing thing is that they found their way home SAFE, in the middle of morning rush hour on a county road. Now I  know where the word 'sheepish' comes from.  Those faces!!! Just as obvious to me as a Labrador who just scarfed down your last piece of pizza while you'd left the room for a moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment