Monday, October 27, 2014

Additions and subtractions

Just because I love this photo:

Miss Daisy causing trouble.  She loves to fly off of things--I just don't really like her standing on the edge of sheet metal with those delicate webbed feet!  G moved this chicken tractor out of the backyard enclosure so the young ducks are now forced to sleep in the big kid hut, and Pepper can't roost in here either.

This is the winter home (in the garage) for our two special needs guineas, Miss Blue (amputee) and Little Bean.(not in this photo)   Captain Jack and Kitten were just hanging in there for the afternoon since it was too cold and blustery in their outdoor pen.  If you look to the right you'll see what Jack is looking at--the pigeon I took to the wildlife center for treatment is doing well, and decided to stick around after I released her last week.







Aviary netting over the palace crew.  They love hanging out on this side--it's out of the wind, lots of digging and foraging opportunities and a few trees to feel safe under.  But not enough cover here to go without the netting.



G built this stone boat for Oakley to pull! When Oak is all healed up of course. Cedar 6 x 6 rails.

All the animals love these turnips! Including the wildlife:

Thirteen-lined ground squirrel.


The newly installed 'anti-Oakley reaching over the gate and wreaking havoc' grill.  We had an extra sheep feeder panel from Premiere supplies, so G built a frame for it and then also attached a board at the bottom to stop Oakley from reaching under as well.

He cut down the evil yew bush!!

My crazy guy.  This is probably one of the most poisonous plants to livestock--it has no place on a farm!!!

Attaman!!

Fully insulated coop (R13 fibreglass) with Sweeter Heater installed. (that white flat panel thingy)
Also, some fine looking fully winterized chicken butts.  Granny Rose is looking warm and fluffy finally!




A full height duck run built with arched cattle panels, tarped in preparation for the snow.  We will add one more panel so the run is bigger.
A volunteer pumpkin of some accidental hybrid variety---I'm hoping we can grow a whole bunch like this next year if we save the seeds from this one--the only one that grew on the plant.

My amazing new spinning wheel!! The Kromski Fantasia.  This is only my second bobbin of yarn so far, but already I'm improving.  This is my first time trying a bulky single.  I find it a little more challenging than spinning fine, since this will be a single (not plyed) so you can't put too much twist in it, and need to leave lots of air in it to keep the bulky look.


This is from roving I got as part of my learn to spin class back in the spring at the Shepherd's Harvest festival.  I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I trying spinning from our own wool!  I also received a huge bonus last week--eight pounds of Polish merino roving for free with the wheel.  That's worth two entire fleeces from our ewes (ours range from 3.5 to 5 lbs each, skirted only--meaning before being cleaned, combed and turned into roving)


A big part of our weekly routine will have to be omitted for a while.  I really missed our usual driving lesson with Oakley.  He can't work until the vet clears him.  So disappointing.





Farrier is supposed to come today.  While I'm waiting around for that I might as well go out and harvest some baby dill, check if the tomatoes in the greenhouse have reddened up, and then tackle the rest of my usual list after that.  

We're trying to tackle our pre-winter to-do list during the week as well as on weekends.  So that means trying to cross things off when G gets home after work, then finally having dinner around 8 or 8:30. He barely gets to see the farm when he gets home, it's dark around 6:30 now.  He's one hard working guy!! And thanks to him we will have a wonderful new addition in December.  

We're getting a wood stove!  Can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment