Friday, August 15, 2014

"Tell me why the road keeps turning, when everything you want is straight ahead"





Been looking up some old Sheryl Crow music lately, since we watched the Tour de France and were talking about Lance Armstrong and how they conveniently don't mention anything about him, even though he won 7 Tours.  He and Sheryl Crow dated for a while. Anyway, I always need new barn music and she fits the bill right now.

Quick updates:

Winston lost both of his special egg bar shoes out in the pasture.  Neither of us could find them. As usual it took a week for the farrier to get here, while Winny's feet chipped away.  Then he put on heart bar shoes instead of the ones I asked for, and he's really sore.  Afraid the extra pressure on the frog is causing him pain.  Oakley is due for a reset on Monday, and if Winston isn't better by then I'll be insisting he puts the other ones on.  He'd better not give me any excuses.  I'm not in the mood to deal with that right now.  

I miss Miss Pearl a lot.

My internship has started to show signs of going sour, so we'll see how things go and what decisions I need to make for myself.  I just don't need bullshit after 15 years of being a tech. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel. Not that I'm an expert in this particular field, I don't claim to be. A big decision to make when I have nothing to fall back on. Really sucks because I still think I have a lot to offer, and to learn.

Including my TRC shift tomorrow that will be 4 days this week that I've been away from the farm.  Sunday my vet friend called to ask for my help since she was very busy.  I owe her so much for her help with our animals, it was an easy decision to make.  I learned a lot on that shift.  Yesterday however was not good. AT ALL.  I'm likely more suited to zoo and aquarium work, research, anything involving specialized animal husbandry and behaviour, and field work. None of those are very likely happen, now or in the future-except on our own farm I guess!

We found grain mites in the basement, teeming from a container of chicken scratch. Gross. So I've emptied most of the basement, got our wool out of there, all my horse tack, all of our pantry dried goods and seed starting supplies, and am still in the process of cleaning.  We have to keep the dehumidifier on all the time now, to make sure the basement stays drier, since the mites can thrive in humid conditions.  I'm pretty sure the source was a bag of scratch we got from a local feed mill, so I won't be buying from them anymore. Welcome to life in the midwest. I've put some food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) in the scratch bin in the chook palace (recommended by a farmer from Iowa) so hopefully that will keep them under control.

I will finally be shipping our wool to the mill in North Dakota!! Also considering going to a meeting about a potential wool co-op that my spinning club members are trying to get started.

G is going to Michigan on Sunday for a fishing trip.

The state fair is coming up, which we're looking forward to, and then I will make a quick trip home to BC for a wedding on the island, then back in time for the arrival of Mom and Albert for a week!! I'm sure they will appreciate seeing the farm as it is now, instead of covered in snow and ice.

 Where has summer gone??

This volunteer squash appears to have patti pan genes--we didn't plant any patti pans last year! Where did it come from?? It's enormous and healthy, having chosen the fence beside the compost to put down roots. 

Guineas on the range

Chaos on a hot tin roof

Flying back into the run

G finally had time to attach the electronetting for the chook palace run to a charger, since we'd taken the original for another fence.  This scary beast is putting out 5000v running 2 poultry nets.  OUCH to any chook that touches this!  

Too many days like this in the palace.

Everything is desparate for water right now.  I overflowed the horse's buckets, and immediately I had this chipping sparrow and hoards of butterflies descending on the runoff.

Sassy's ducklings are getting big! I fear they are all males...

Handsome Bossy drake

Needs a talon trim! 







No comments:

Post a Comment