Thursday, August 14, 2014

Accused of blog fade

From last week:

G has gone to northern Minnesota this week for work.  Not that I ever like it when he leaves, but now could be particularly bad timing from a 'farming' perspective.  We seemed to be constantly busy all weekend, and I feel like we attended to many important things, but at this time of year the list is a little overwhelming.

What made it more difficult is that I think we both had mild heat stroke this weekend, and mine carried over into Monday.  It's a hard thing to describe, especially to folks back home on the coast, or to people who spend most of their time indoors, sedentary, with air conditioning.  I was just starting to feel better yesterday late afternoon, so went out to check on all of the beasts, refill waters, and harvest more calendula. I did ok for a while, then started to feel sick again, so took shelter inside.

We went to the Washington County Fair when G got home, after our driving lesson with Oakley.  Yep we've been working the bear in harness!! It's going very well, and we're really enjoying it, and I think Oak is too.

Oak:




Pulling competition:







I think the winners in the heavy class pulled over 6000 lbs!

We have another lesson with Oak tomorrow.  It's great working with him with G involved now.

The rest of life has been a little hectic, some sad, some great, and all just going much too quickly.  How is it the middle of August already???

The other night I was focused on a task, working hard and fast, which I think G assumes is me panicking to get something done. It was late in the evening, and G all of a sudden came and found me, grabbed my hand and asked me to come with him.  I protested for a minute, sort of annoyed that I was being interrupted from my important task,, but he asked me to come with him so I could be reminded of why were doing all of this...

Unfortunately I don't have photos of what we saw, but let's just say the August Sturgeon moon was rising in the east, and mist was forming in our Middle Field.  We'd hit the dew point, or the 'green point' as I call it here, where all of a sudden you can smell everything alive and green around you.  It was beautiful!  I hope we always remember moments like that.  There are so many that I haven't written about, that I fear I will forget them all.




2 comments:

  1. Amazing hummingbird picture! Also love the bearded guy in overalls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. : ) G is determined to grow a beard like that one day.

    ReplyDelete