Friday, August 22, 2014

5 minutes to post

It's late Friday night, I had plans to write a lot while G was cooking dinner and dealing with the buckets of tomatoes and squash he harvested.  It was not to be....After I cleaned the kitchen so the chef could go to work he tasked me with finishing the elderberry harvest.  Time consuming, delicate work, stripping the tiny berries off the stems.

So I only have a few minutes to write since our zucchini fritters will be ready soon and I'm starving after a very long day.

I went to TRC this morning, then raced back home in time to scarf down a burrito before our driving lesson with Oakley.  Can't recall if that's our fourth or fifth lesson now.  Totally worth the investment, time, energy and afternoons out baking in unbearable heat.  I was so relieved it was cloudy today. 

Oak pulled the tractor weights on the boogie board again today, this time out the path and through different sections of his pasture rotations.  So he wasn't going to any place he hadn't been before, but as any horse person will know, just about anything can make things 'new' or 'scary' to a horse. He was more interested in trying to eat clover while he pulled. Not exactly a stressy behaviour, just naughty!

Pepper had surgery this week, after I found her with her funny spur bleeding quite badly, as it had cracked off right at the base. Never good to have exposed bone in a wet dirty chook yard, not to mention that it would be a very painful injury, and not very kind for me to try and deal with without anesthesia.  Luckily our vet friend came through for us once again. More on super Pepper later. 


Hoping to go to the state fair tomorrow afternoon.  So much to do around here, not to mention I have to pack for my trip home.  I'm going to miss our animals terribly! And that handsome guy I married who's sitting here eating corn from our field while cooking those fritters to perfection.  Wish he could come with me, but he had to send his passport away to be renewed, so he'd stuck here for the moment.

We've been lucky to have some very heavy rain and thunderstorms lately to break up the heat, and give the parched plants (and humans) a reprieve.  Makes for mucky yards and a new flush of flies, but we're dealing ok overall. 

I was feeling very unsettled this morning, and out of place as I drove into TRC. After some recent events I've started sleeping poorly, mostly due to bad dreams.  The fears of losing our animals, issues at my internship, and a not so nice email I received have been messing with me apparently. I had a dream I was back at school, and then being attacked by a man, and not able to defend myself. Not too hard for me to interpret. Just really not what I need right now.

I really think this farm is therapy for every crappy thing I've ever dealt with in my life. Karma is being good to me.  And on a related note, I was very pleased with myself that I managed to free a daddy long legs spider from a bit of packing tape that I had left on the deck. It really is the little things some days. 

Fritters are at the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment