Monday, April 25, 2016

When it rains, it pours. Did a farmer coin that phrase?


Friday brought vicious fights between drakes Gander and Duke.  I had to jump on them to break the fight up, and I managed to wrestle Duke away without getting myself wounded (they have huge claws, can break your nose with their wings, and inflict some nasty bites too)  All I could do was put Duke in the backyard chicken run and lock him in overnight to calm down.  

We will have to keep an eye on them, it could end in real injury or death and that's not what we want. Of course we have too many drakes. They have always figured out alliances and done very well. They break off into groups so that all of our ducks have protectors with them, and considering the number of eagles and ravens around lately I am glad for this arrangement.  But spring brings hormones, and that brings trouble.

*

We had a busy Sunday morning out in full rain gear in the thunder storm.  The weeds are taking over my medicinal plant garden already, so G helped me tackle some of the long-rooted sweet grass that is easiest to pull in wet conditions. We both love working in the rain....My west coast guy was pretty blissed out when he finally came in the house at almost noon. 


*

Duck prolapse blues

Our duck Panda has had a prolapse since late Saturday. I pushed it back in, but Saturday night it was out again, and by Sunday morning it was turning purple and was prolapsed farther out.  I have never seen one like that....So every few hours yesterday I had to catch her in the little chicken tractor and push it back in with some preparation H.  Some of the tissue might have already devitalized.  I am pretty concerned about her. 

So I am hoping for the best.  Even if it's back in, she will stay in solitary confinement for several days at least. (the flock can come and visit her, as we parked the tractor right beside the duck house).  I don't know the cause of her prolapse.  This happened to her last year but I believe it was egg related. Once I had the prolapse under control she laid the egg and was fine.  But this year I'm wondering if if could also be mating related. 



Sheep + rain = felted sheep

My shearer keeps putting us off, and hasn't confirmed a shearing date yet. It's really starting to aggravate me.  For now with all of this rain the sheep are more comfortable with their sweaters on, but we will likely be right back up to killer heat after the rainy system moves out of the midwest later this week. Oh to have dependable people in my life. When I pay them to be!!! Geez.


To bee or not, to bee

Last night at lockup I noticed that hive two had a huge bee die off.  I have no idea what's going on in there, just that they have seemed less vigorous than the over packed hive one, and they might be trying to replace their queen.  With the rain and wind this week I am not sure when I can open the hive and do a proper inspection, and look for any signs of disease. 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




It's after 8 am on Monday morning and the sky keeps getting darker, not lighter.  More rain is threatening and I hear thunder.  Between rain events today I hope to get some more seeding done in the hay field and some of the pastures.  We definitely needed this.

The house bantams just hopped the pet gate and took off down the hallway, so I'd better go and round them up. 

Have a good week everyone.




"When I was a farmer, you were my rain"


No comments:

Post a Comment