Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hiatus


So my friend Jen is here visiting from Vancouver this week! I won't be writing much but have a few photos that can share a tiny bit of what's been happening around here.

She is doing two talks for the Minnesota Aquarium Society, so lucky for her she had her airfare paid for, and lucky for me, I get to have her here for four days.









A much needed time out in the hay loft.  




We still have easily 100 bales left, which makes me not worry about the spring rains to come.  If we have to keep the horses off the fields to protect them, we will be ok for food for a few months.  Last year I ran out early and had to pick up extra bales 10 or 15 at a time, and when people know you are desperate they can charge you a premium...I'm glad I learned my lesson last year.



The guineas figured out the pop door and escaped...luckily the senior guineas kept them close by, and with a few shakes of millet in a container they all came back safely before roosting time, and were well rewarded for it.




It's April. Snow happens. Asparagus is coming up already!



A bit of real sun for some of our starts. 
 It was actually too strong that day so we put up a quick shade and wind shelter over the potting bench.



Some sort of duck convention after a brief snow burst.




Senior hen Paprika was broody and on eggs, but when she came off them to eat and drink she was badly beaten by the other hens. I brought her inside to heal and let the hormones subside, because if she's still broody when she goes back out she won't defend herself.
 She needs to return to her former fierce self!



Solo the hen is healing very well from this rooster spur wound.
That's healthy pink granulation tissue on there. It's really amazing to watch how the body does this.





Cornish has figured out how to climb up the deck stairs and raid my wheat grass trays. She also just comes up to look for me so I can bring her inside to lay her egg in her crate. Hens have the funniest habits sometimes.





Beautiful golden hour light in the sheep pasture


No comments:

Post a Comment