Saturday, July 11, 2015

Solstice--a long day indeed....


From a few weeks ago:

Yesterday was the summer solstice, and with the heat we experienced it really did feel like a long day! I kept feeding G litres of water and juice and electrolytes throughout the day.  

We had various farm chores and projects to attend to, but then when the heat was too oppressive we decided to make a run out to a nearby town for some lumber.  I had a project in mind (no I haven't finished my last two projects) but needed G's help to do it.  Many of the plants that I'd bought or started from seed are just not suited to go in my herb garden after all, and will do better in raised beds.  So we came up with a design, and a few hours later G had it all constructed.  (with a little bit of help from me, and much good company from Fern and Granny Rose)

Some time after 9 pm I was still outside finishing night lock up, while G was making us a lovely dinner of greens from the garden with garlic scapes all sauteed down in the cast iron pan, topped with eggs and feta cheese. We really have monstrous chard this year so this is a great way to use it.

***

Lots of animal health issues to deal with, a mink that runs after rabbits in broad daylight and has no fear of people, and a raccoon mom and her little ones who raid anything I leave out, and were kind enough to climb up on to our deck and leave smelly presents for us.  

We are supposed to be haying soon, but the weather is not cooperating.  The grass is really mature so may be a little coarse, but not too bad.  We will just wait to hear from the farmer who does our haying, he's not much for communication but does a great job.

It's hard for me to trust people these days.  I haven't had much reason for faith, when even those closest to me here are erratic with what I consider being dependable. I know that's sort of vague without a real explanation. Last month I was really upset about it.  I don't really know what to think now.  Not that I am the perfect friend, but what has happened recently makes me wonder how much back up I would actually have if something truly catastrophic happened in my life. If I can't rely on people for the moderate things, what makes me think I can rely on them for the really big things?

Have you asked yourself that question? If the sh*t really hit the fan in your life, who would you call? Who would step up without you calling them to ask for anything?  Who would do more than just send you condolences on Facebook?  Just something to think about.  Choose, but choose wisely.






No comments:

Post a Comment