Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Seas of grass and mud

I have many updates to share, but I will be busy this morning when the workers arrive to finish the work they started on the paddock when they did the pond excavating.  Since then the paddock has been a mud bog.  All of that lovely topsoil from the pond was used to try to level the paddock area. We didn't really want to waste good soil, but on the other hand, clean fill is next to impossible to find, and we certainly don't want mystery chemicals or garbage being used.  

So finally today we can get some sand back on the surface.  It can be drying to hooves, but it's better than muck that is already turning Oakley's feet a little thrushy.  

We moved the sheep to another rotation on the west side of the property.  We are expecting some heavy rain this week or weekend, so I asked G to bring their hut over from the winter paddock.  He hooks up a cable to the little Wheel Horse tractor and just drags it over.  It still has carriage bolts attached where we can slip on pneumatic wheels, which are pretty essential once the grass gets long. 

It's already long.  The stinging nettles are almost up to my hips in some spots. I'm going to make a compost tea out of nettles and dock and see how that helps some plants.




No comments:

Post a Comment