Friday, June 19, 2015

Fields of glitter

It's after 10 pm now. Have been on the couch for a mere ten minutes.  Fridays are very long days for me.  I went to my TRC shift this morning feeling pretty rotten, after a long hot week and the soreness coming on from shoveling a yard and a half of soil yesterday.  A Cooper's hawk who didn't have a great prognosis took my mind off my own discomfort. I really love working with the birds!

The horses ate their evening grain while G and I sat out on the bank of grotto pond, but then they walked far out into the pasture since I had left the gate open. Oops. I really can't blame them for enjoying such a cool breezy evening.  When I left for TRC this morning at 8 am it was already too hot and the UV so brutal that the boys stayed in the barn and had no interest in going out to graze. The night is such a calming and healing time, for all of us. 

We'd planned for a bonfire by the pond tonight, but had gotten a little distracted and put it off too late, so G headed inside to get our nachos on.  I wrangled the ducks, double checked the rest of the coops, and headed out for a walk to the back pasture to bring the horses in.  I really didn't want to go, I only wanted to go inside for dinner, rest and time with my sweety.  But I would never be one to take for granted 'the now'.  The fire flies are sparkling out there tonight.  The frogs are deafening.  The loons in the distance are calling.  I turned off my light and haltered Winston, and we headed back to the barn, slowly, with Oakley following.  There is something so peaceful about being out in the dark with horses.  You become part of the herd.

That's all for now. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment