Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer to do lists and random thoughts and hopes.

A few farms I follow on Facebook have had major raptor pressure lately.  One friend on the island just lost her wonderful rooster to a hawk attack.  I'd been getting one of those feelings again, to be extra vigilant, and not get too comfortable.  A northern harrier has been hunting next door on the huge acreage, and yesterday she flushed out of the grotto trees as I came out of the chook palace.  Just a few minutes before the whole flock had been ranging out in the oat patch.  Not really sure if the harrier would be a threat, but let's just say I'm very grateful it's crow fledging time.  Every day for the past week there has been a lot of racket out there--crow babies are loud!!!  What's good about crow fledging time is that I get the benefit of some extra vigilant crow families around who excel in chasing raptors away. 

I may try to put up the aviary netting I bought, but it might be too awkward to do by myself, and I certainly don't want to damage the oat patch.  The chooks are having a blast in there.

I got everyone turned out early this morning so they could enjoy the cooler conditions before it once again tops 27 C with high humidity and dangerous UV levels today.  I was out there in my pyjamas, so I wasn't planning on jumping on Winston and riding him out to pasture.  Both the boys were in their stalls, still sleepy and relaxed in front of their fans.  Winston followed me out of the barn, but instead of following me to the gate, he stopped at the mounting block!! Very sweet Winny!  We'll ride out together tonight : )

I should probably get out there in the field and hunt for some squash vine borer beetles.  They really do a number on our precious zucchini.  I'll have to be fully kitted up in UV protection and bug protection though--even early this morning I had deer flies pinging off my head. Grrr.  

I also need to prune the tomatoes in the straw bale garden, and pick off the leaves already showing signs of the horrible tomato fungus that wreaked havoc on the plants last year.  Can't really help it with the wet spring we've had.  The jalapenos are doing well, and nothing much seems to bother them.

Hoping to get everything done this week that I need to, so I can meet with the spinning group this weekend. They've chosen a different venue for this month, and it turns out there will be a bluegrass band playing there. Don't want to pass up a chance to hear some live bluegrass!  So I'll get reacquainted with my drop spindle at least, and keep an ear open for any used spinning wheels out there.  Also some of these women own sheep, so I'll be in good company.  

This is the Kromski Fantasia spinning wheel I really like. (I tried out nine different wheels at the Shepherd's Harvest Festival spinning workshop, and this was one of my favourites)  It's a new model so it's not very likely that I'll find a used one.  

Kromski Fantasia Spinning Wheel


After my horse driving workshop I mentioned to G that although I keep meeting some nice people, I sure would be nice to meet some people closer to our age.  But we came to the conclusion that almost everyone we know in the 25 to 45 age range are busy making babies, and therefore hanging out with other families. Oh well. 

Oakley's great coach has moved to North Carolina to pursue her eventing career.  Super lousy. She left me the contact information for her coach here, so I'll call her, but I'm expecting she will be too busy, and not do farm visits.  

I asked a western coach to come out and assess Winston for me, and just like so many other people in my life lately, she's not lived up to her promise.  "I'll check my schedule and text you by the end of the day" Right.  That was over a week ago.  Speaking of unreliable people, it's farrier time again.  He's supposed to come on Thursday.  Winston is showing signs of getting a little stiff again, so it's good timing.  Their feet grow so fast in the summer!

Missing my sweety.  He said he's meeting a lot of Canadians at his course, and another Minnesotan as well. I'm already anticipating how full of energy he'll be when he gets home.  He'll have revised our farm plan by now, or just figured out what property back in BC we should buy so we can start fresh.  

Like this place he sent me the other day:

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14613354

10 acres on Lasqueti Island, BC. 

Well that's all for now.  I still have photos to post from the driving workshop, but I need to get a few things done first.  I need to move the sheep to their new rotation, and the horses as well. I need to contact our neighbour to see if he's available to hay our field.  I hate asking for things like that...




No comments:

Post a Comment