Monday, July 14, 2014

Making the most of it all

I've been meaning and needing to post for several days, but the time and energy both elude me it seems. Right now I should be cleaning the house, or bringing shavings to the barn, or bleaching animal dishes, or a million other things rather than sitting down. But I'm wiped! The humidity today is horrendous.

This morning was beautiful.  I awoke to rain that gradually turned into a thunderstorm and then to a torrential downpour as I was driving into the city for my TRC shift.  

I spoke to G in Vermont.  He's pretty tired, but still happy about his new experiences and learning.  He wants to come home, and I can't blame him. I miss him terribly, and the lack of contact has been very hard. The other day he managed to call for a few minutes, and we ended up making each other laugh like crazy.  I needed that! How you know you are still best friends after ten years...

I had plans for a 'Deep Thoughts, with D' writing session, but I can barely keep my eyes open much less my thoughts together, so this will be just a few updates.

Kitten was continuing to gain weight, and I feared the worst (more ascites) but then two days ago she laid a soft shelled egg, which could have explained her behaviour change and 'backing up the pipes' so to speak. Hope she continues to improve and this isn't a sign that it's her turn for reproductive cancer.

I contacted our neighbour who was going to hay our back field for us, but he's barely managing his own tasks, especially with the weather being a little tricky for haying (if you cut the hay and it rains, it can be ruined. where do you think 'make hay while the sun shines' came from?).  Long story short is that he still has 25 acres of his own land to hay, so doesn't know when he'll get to ours. Which might mean never.  Very disappointing considering the fantastic quality of hay we got last year, and G's efforts this season to fertilize.  Maybe if we get the tractor fixed soon we can start doing our own cutting at least.  Baling is another matter.

As I predicted, the coach who said she'd come out and assess Winston for me claims she is too busy.  I would have just preferred that she tell me to my face at the start, rather than getting my hopes up.  Oakley's coach has moved to North Carolina, so I have to find someone to replace her as well.  Why isn't this working out for us????? Dammit!!! In the mean time I'm loving being with them of course.  I rode Oak the other day while Winny was being re-shod.  It was a short ride but in the heat of the day that's all I could hope for.  I'm starting to get stronger just by riding Winny bareback out to pasture every day.  He trots up the hill and I can actually post a bit.  Feels good to feel some power again!

I started a sort of informal wildlife rehab tech internship the other day, and it was better than I hoped for considering it was my first day.  I recovered a great blue heron after anesthesia, and handled and medicated a bunch of different birds, including cardinals and beautiful little mourning doves, one of my favourites.  I know I'll learn a lot, but it still feels a little strange, after all that I've done, to be still in the same spot, or going backwards in some ways. I don't always feel that way, but once in a while something triggers it.

I enjoy being part of a team, I enjoy teaching, and I think I'm better at it than a lot of people in teaching positions, but what I think I'm really missing is working with people who are very excited about what they are doing.  Passion comes out in your work if you are a person like that.  (not counting burnout of course--which can happen to anyone)

Working with people who seem to take their opportunities for granted or are just 'meh' about the whole thing is extremely frustrating for me. I want to work with people who appreciate beauty and unique qualities in the creatures, plants, ecosystems they are stewards over, and aren't afraid to show it. I'm not talking annoying bubbly cutsie sickening like they've had too much caffeine and sugar excited. I don't know, maybe some of you will understand what I'm getting at.  Maybe the photos below are what triggered this.  That was me! I hadn't seen the one of me in the water before.  I just found it online the other day.



Aquarium staff examine whale’s tail looking for a place to attempt to takes a blood sample from beached grey whale in Tsawwassen April 25, 2005.
Volunteers and Vancouver Aquarium staff work to rescue a juvenile grey whale that was stranded by low tide at Tsawwassen’s Centennial Beach for nine hours April 25, 2005.

No 'meh' moments that day!

Don't take great moments for granted people.  You never know if they will ever come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment